back to article Huawei uncloaks sleek, slim, sexy smartphones

Chinese telecom giant Huawei has unveiled a pair of high-end Android smartphones, including one that it dubs "the world's slimmest smartphone" – and at a mere 6.68mm, it's a skinny li'l fellow, indeed. The Huawei Ascend P1 S, like its 7.69mm sibling, the Ascend P1, runs Android 4.0, aka Ice Cream Sandwich. Both are powered by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tonysmith

Yet another phone out to kill the iPhone. Murderous swines.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Hah

Damn, I was going to post something before somebody took the troll bait and screamed about the "iPhone killer" line in the article.

Seems you have already done it, and with good humour. Bravo.

2. g e

Not an iphone killer

The iphone is already playing catchup to LG & Samsung in all aspects bar the logo, probably HTC, too by now as the Desire HD was certainly on par when it came out.

Mind you, unless you believe Apple 'invented' everything they imply they did, the iphone has always been playing catchup with everyone else... SMS forwarding, video recording, 3G, etc, etc all came late to it.

Apple know it, too, that's why they're suing everyone to prevent their phones being made available.

Fanbois can whine and froth all they like but the fact is the object of their affections is now 'last year's' phone compared to the conetition as soon as it c omes out, and no, Siri is not exactly new - people have been piping ASR into text parsing engines and dumping the output into TTS for years, just not on phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

here we go again...

Nobody's ever said Apple's "invented" what you mentioned, they just put it all together better for people to use.

And by *people* I mean everyone expect engineers, nerds, geeks, hobyists, hackers, etc etc

http://thedoghousediaries.com/3345

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Yet another phone out to kill the iPhone.

Do we have enough iphone killers to get a game of Cluedo going?

The Desire, in the drawing room, with the candlestick.

2. annodomini2
    WTF?

ROM?

Don't you mean flash

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

There is no one single iPhone killer...

...there are many of them, from HTC, Samsung and now Huwei joins the merry band of market dominating iPhone killers.

1. DrXym

Well quite

Google activates 700,000 Android devices every day. They're not all the same model of device but that's kind of the beside the point.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

How to measure thickness?

What's with the recent claims of thin phones were they ignore the thicker bits where the camera is? Both the Moto Razr and this phone are actually thicker than claimed due to this. How much of the phone can be thicker than the rest before it doesn't count? 10%? 30%? Up to half?

Making the phone larger in other dimensions obviously allows construction of a thinner phone (up to a point) because you can get a lot more battery in the same thickness if you have more length and width. At some point thinness will become a detriment, as it may make one feel as though it might snap in two in your pocket if you move wrong!

1. M man

already has...

any phone that is less then half the width of my finger is too thin.

if you cant grip the phone by its sides enough so that it rotate away from you then its more than pointless.

as far as THAT point is concerned cupino need not worry.

the bit that im impressed with is the bezel width....one day....one day a PROPER folder screen will become realitiy (sorry S2, nice try and all)

http://www.concept-phones.com/lg/lg-triptych-folding-phone-turns-tablet/

2. Blitterbug
      Trollface

Who the hell...

...keeps an expensive smartphone in a trouser pocket??!! The mind boggles. Jacket pocket yes, nerdy holster yes (had one once tbh) but why would anyone treat a device that is of a similar spec & price to a fancy netbook like their carkeys? Many do, I know - I just don't understand why...

1. Olafthemighty
        Flame

I do!

My right trouser pocket is my phone pocket; nothing else ever goes in there (apart from a little bit of fluff). I have yet to scratch, dent, mangle or otherwise damage a single bit of any phone so ner to you!

1. lotus49
          Thumb Up

Care not case

I'm with you Olaf. I put my phone in my left pocket (I'm left handed) but I wouldn't even put a piece of paper much less change or my keys in the same pocket.

I had an iphone for 3 years and when I sold it, you would have needed a magnifying glass and bright sunlight to see any marks on it at all. I hate screen protectors with a passion and I'm not much keener on cases. Why buy a pretty and slim phone only to stick the thing in a fat and ugly case?

Phones are expensive so it makes sense to treat them with care. I do and it works. It's also cheaper than buying a case.

2. friedegg03
        Holmes

Anyone who doesn't have a jacket on and doesn't want to look a twat with a holster.

Tbh, I would never keep it in my jacket pocket anyway as it is more susceptible to damage imo from falling out, swinging into stuff, or when the jacket is removed and put down on a hard surface etc...

1. Blitterbug
          Happy

Jacket OR coat

... You guys don't have coats? Ok...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huawei

Complete with built-in eavesdropping, perhaps?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: eavesdropping

as if that can't be done at the exchange...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or at the Haji market!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hardware looks OK. The buggy, insecure, badly designed operating system it runs means it will not be something that I purchase though.

1. Big-nosed Pengie

I fully agree. I'd buy one like a shot if it ran Linux.

1. David Dawson
        Headmaster

It does.

8. Spud2go
    Pint

Very sexy hardware...

...but will it blend?

9. Cliff

toy lust

I love my Z1 (real thumbable keyboard for forums!) but this has turned my head...be good to see it in the flesh (eg will it fit in a pocket without snapping?!)

10. Robert E A Harvey

are

are any of them dual SIM? Thats what I want, a dual sim smartphone

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dual Sim

Probably not as the network operators hate dual sims but do a search for "Universal Ghost Twin Sim / Dual Sim For Mobile Phones" and you might see something you can use.

1. Robert E A Harvey

I've a had a couple of no-name chinese dual sim phones, but didn't get on with the software.

I want a proper android smartphone with 2 active sims.

11. tirk
    Facepalm

"30 per cent increase in battery life over competing smartphones"

Maybe they'll make it to lunchtime then.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

WTF?

I get 3-4 days outa my SanFran

12. Sean Baggaley 1

"and 1GB RAM (expandable to 8GB with a microSD card)"

Only 8GB? I.e. the "Last year's iPhone model now offered for free with a contract" capacity?

SD cards already allow higher capacities than that, surely?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SD cards already allow higher capacities than that, surely?

Yes, I bought a couple of 32GB cards last month for about $30 each. One of them even works in my "ancient" Rumor Touch.

I really don't understand why the manufacturer's can't put decent amounts of storage into phones at those kinds of prices.

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Surround sound ?

On a tiny thingy you hold to one ear ?

Oh come on.

1. Benny

Yea, now the annoying shites that don't understand the concept of headphones can bug me in surround instead...joy

14. the-it-slayer
    Devil

Feature-number-punching rather than experience?

I know this is will come across as a apple-fanboi comment (say what you will), but have companies not learned that most people don't give a crap if it's the most world-record breaking thinnist phone?

Smartphones are about UI experience and I know Android isn't one of them for me.

Anyway, can I have a real honeycomb ice-cream sandwich?

1. handle

Funny that

"I know this is will come across as a apple-fanboi comment (say what you will), but have companies not learned that most people don't give a crap if it's the most world-record breaking thinnist phone?"

Apple's a company which hasn't. It always advertised the iPhone on TV by describing it as "the world's thinnest smart phone" - until a thinner one came along, of course, and now it's reduced to saying "if it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

15. Greg D
    FAIL

seriously?

are we still using the term iPhone killer?

Its been dead for a while - ever since the iTunes lock-in. Oh wait, that was since day one.

16. Paul Hayes 1

ROM

ROM = read only memory. I highly doubt you mean that :)

"but have companies not learned that most people don't give a crap if it's the most world-record breaking thinnist phone?"

are you serious? Say what you will about Apple's operating systems, they are very good, but you cannot deny that a significant percentage of people buying Apple kit do so based almost purely on the physical design of the hardware. People very much take this into account when buying things, especially the latest piece of pockey-shiney to show off to their friends.

1. annodomini2

Yes and No...

I beat you to the rom bit! :P ;)

People buy iPhone's for 3 reasons:

1. They typically get good press coverage in reviews and it is currently used as the benchmark.

2. Their mates got one and tell them that they like it.

3. From 2 they're jealous of said mate (for whatever reason!) and buy one.

Most of it is hype and word of mouth.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: There is no one single iPhone killer...

So rather that Cluedo may it is more of a case of Murder on the Orient Express!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Likey very much

Gorilla glass too.

Elsewhere reports "and will run a clean version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich".

If the camera's any good then this could be Android handset #3 for me.

19. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Form factor..

..next thing, someone'll make a credit-card thin phone.

To me, although I've somewhat lost the love for my Nokia N8 since Wallop took over, I reckon the form factor's about right. It *has* taken a few drops with no damage (although I did fit a plastic protector on the back and corners), and I wouldn't be worried about accidentally sitting on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like