back to article Volkswagen catches electric Beetle

Volkswagen has presented its latest take on the iconic Beetle at the North American International Motor Show in Detroit. VW e-Bugster e-car Called the E-Bugster, the bodywork may look a tad 1950s retro thanks to the low roof line, but underneath everything is bang up to date thanks to an 85kW electric motor and 28.3kWh …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Alert

Now...

If they stuck a decent turbo diesel or 2.0T petrol engine into that and called it the "Bugster" I'd probably have one on my wish list, it's a fine looking Beetle..

Sadly e-cars don't quite hack it for me yet..

2. /\/\j17

Wrong Stand! Wrong Stand!

Alun, you're on THE WRONG STAND!

Move away from the VAG stand and take a look at the Honda/Acura one - the next (hybrid) NSX is much more interesting than another Beatle.

3. Silverburn

An even uglier Beetle?

Is it just me or does the beetle get uglier the more it gets updated?

And those running lights - I know VW is probably trying to save a few quid on this model...but these look like stickers?

1. Mike Flugennock

Uglier? Oh, I don't know...

As much as I miss the classic Beetle design -- yeah, I'm that old -- I really dug the rebooted Beetle when it was introduced in '99 or '00.

I think this one's actually pretty slick (see previous comment re: Carrera GT). Had I the cash on hand, I'd actually consider one of these if they had a hybrid version out.

(Hell, I'm surprised they haven't reintroduced an updated Karmann Ghia design. I always thought those were really cool..)

4. jai

i likes it

if i were a v-dub type person, i'd be very keen on seeing this get a production release

very much like the new style

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pass

VW's Diesels are good and that would be my choice. Unless you need an EV for city use and want to pay dearly, I'd just buy the std. Diesel model. EVs are primarily for tree huggers that think electricity grows on trees.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Boffin

"They think electricity grows on trees"

Well, given that much of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, and fossil fuels are the remains of ancient forests, arguably it does grow on trees.

6. Dave 15

Pretty but

I fall into the group of people that like the look of this... but lets be honest 100 mile range at town speeds is all very well but what is that out of town? On the motorway is that say 50 miles, or 60 miles even? Now given the half hour (round figure) charge time (better than most) this means your 60mph trip on the motorway (if you don't get run over by an impatient lorry) will mean a half hour break every hour... so an average of 60 miles per 1.5 hours or 40mph... now, going to see my boy takes 400 miles - or 10 hours in this car :(

7. Dave 15

VW diesel good?

Borrowed one once (in a Golf). Part way home the dashboard lit up with warnings, engine was still running so carried on heading for a garage. Steering virtually killed me as the power steering had failed totally. Got to the garage and opened the bonnet - the alternator pulley had fallen apart, the same belt drove everything - including power steering - and had fallen off. The garage - in Germany! - said this was common, the pulley is full of springs and bits to prevent the power shocks from the engine getting to the alternator and is prone to falling apart.

Good? An engine with a fundamental design flaw that results in catestrophic failure that can kill is not what I call good I'm afraid.

1. Tim #3

well at least you get warning lights... VW's LT35 2.8 van has a not-uncommon problem where it will cut out for no reason, then is fine when you switch it off and on again (sounds familiar...), which doesn't sound so bad unless you happen to be driving it when it cuts out. AFAIK VW have washed their hands of this as there's no fault codes that show up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

German reliability for you

That's German reliability for you. Or at least, what marketing would have you believe.

Strange that the same engines can rack up interstellar mileages in Skodas though! (Though mostly minicabs).

8. James Micallef Silver badge

Nice styling

The first 'new' beetle was fugly. This at least has gone back to the ancient lineage of the original beetle and got some styling cues from the Porsche.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would be back to the ancient lineage if the leccy motor sits in the (rear) boot.

A mechanic once told me that changing a radiator in the old "new" Beetle was a nightmare. That bodyshape doesn't do any favours to a front engined watercooled layout.

9. Jim Coleman
    FAIL

Sorry.....you said "fast charging" and "35 minutes" in the same sentence.

10. SirTainleyBarking
    Paris Hilton

Beetle meets PT Cruiser. It looks a lot better than it has a right to

11. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

Whoa, sweet!

Looks kinda like a cross between a NuBeetle and a Carrera GT.

Schweeeeet. I'd take one.

12. Sly
    Meh

Put the engine from that monster Porsche in the back...

(fitting appropriate cooling vents) and that would be an awesome car.

as is... meh.

13. Tapeador

Of course it's a re-skinned Golf. Every VW, or as near as, is a re-skinned Golf! What were you thinking?

14. skeptical i
    Pint

Low. Ri. Der.

Low rider / Drives a little slower / Low rider / Is a little lower / Low rider / Don't use no gas now / Low rider / Don't drive too fast / Take a little trip, take a little trip, take a little trip with meee-ee.

15. kain preacher

Mouse

Looks like a mouse to me. Were is the USB cord.

16. SYNTAX__ERROR
    FAIL

"Amperage"?

There's no such thing. It's called CURRENT.

This topic is closed for new posts.