back to article Open Phones with Open Moko

While all eyes may have been on San Francisco and the launch of the developer-unfriendly Apple iPhone, the real game changers were demonstrating their strategy at CES 2007, in Las Vegas. While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware. OpenMoko is an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

Nice idea but...

... I bet it isn't launched over here in the UK, or if it is, it's launched for £350 instead of the equivalent of $350.

As a huge fan of Open-Source and a hater of my current smartphone (An orange MPV500 running Windows PocketPc 2003), I'd love one of these, I just can't see any of the UK carriers signing up to it.

Anyone disagree? :)

2. Rob

data connections

If this thing ends up having europe-friendly 3G and Wifi, and isn't going to tap my wallet for £400 it would be a goer for me. I really want to like the iPhone but I just can't see that it will fly this time around. Also it'll need someone to hook it into iSync.

I read somewhere that Nokia don't think linux is ready for telephones yet, so it'll be interesting to see how this stacks up against something like Symbian. The N80 is an excellent piece of kit (barring the poor battery) and if something to exceed that in terms of gadget-appeal then I'll be very happy indeed!

3. Mark

Open Moko MokoMokoMokoMokoMoko

I saw this phone on a Digg post and it's UI is not pretty. Luckily when I buy one I will be able to make it look exactly like a iPhone, or a MS Smartphone, or some crazy mix of both. When can I get one?!?!?! :)

Honestly, do Mac really believe that their software will be better when theres only a few hundred people designing, programming and bugfixing. Its so stupid they closed off the iPhone to other developers.

4. Charles Johnson

Open carriers

I may be being naive, or insufficiently informed, but wouldn't having free (both senses possibly) carriers be necessary?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like