back to article NY corpse attempts to cash welfare cheque

Two men were arrested yesterday in New York's Hell's Kitchen district after failing to convince staff at a "check-cashing store" to honour the welfare cheque of a deceased friend, the New York Times reports. Virgilio Cintron, 66, recently popped his clogs at his apartment at 436 West 52nd Street. His roommate James P. O’Hare …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Carpenter
    Pirate

Weekend at Bernies III

At least this sequel sounds more exciting than the first two 'Weekend at Bernies' movies.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oops!

Only in America!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky they weren't in the UK

They have first been arrested for murder, then with supplying a class A drug. Not that they'd investigate a death, determine a cause, then if the cause is suspicious, investigating the crime, then arrest the most likely suspect.

Nope, that's not how it works now in the UK anymore.

You find a dead TV presenter in the bath, you immediately arrest the grieving boyfriend for murder. If he's not there, arrest the nearest calm person for being 'too calm'.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

@Andrew

You're on the right track. Now try spinning out "being bloody silly by wheeling a corpse to a shop to cash a cheque and getting arrested" to fill a two hour movie. I think you'll find it comes out just like the first two.....

5. oxo
    Coat

Re: Lucky they weren't in the UK

He was lucky to *only* get arrested. At least they didn't chase him onto a tube train then stand on him and blow his brains out.

Time to find another country to live methinks...

6. Paul

Not in the UK.

In the UK they would have probably got the cash and it would have taken the DWP 6 months to notice he was even dead, who would have then spent 3 years trying to take a dead guy to court for the overpaid amount.

7. Joe Stalin
    Unhappy

Here they would have arrested the dead guy for obstructing the side walk. Also 'with his trousers at half mast and a jacket covering his "midesection" ' they have done the corpse for indicent exposure just to make sure they get a conviction.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@oxo

> Time to find another country to live methinks...

I wholly agree... I nominate Afghanistan or Iraq... your life assurance company might not be so pleased though... :-)

9. Damian Gabriel Moran
    Unhappy

not forgetting to charge the corpse with committing an indecent act with an office chair and placing him on the sex offenders register.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dead Wrong

no more jokes here please, you lot are flogging a dead ermm horse..

Dons hat and leaves..

11. Mike Moyle
    Happy

Re: Dead Wrong

no more jokes here please, you lot are flogging a dead ermm horse..

Dons hat and leaves..

Why are you wearing leaves? Wouldn't a jacket make more sense? (BoomBOOM!)

12. Phil
    Flame

Titsup

I thought the article was educational - I never realized that titsup was a military term (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) - I always thought it just meant flat on your back as it tits-up - who would have thunked it.

13. Tom Haczewski
    Coat

Sure is lucky he wasn't in the UK

Over here, he wouldn't have a welfare cheque anyway because they would have sent it with a courier. TNT of course...

14. Herby
    Coat

Need biometrics!!

Of course, the answer to all of this is biometrics. Oh, you need a fingerprint, no problem, I'll get him in here to give it to you. Never mind that the finger has assumed room temperature (or lower). Pay no attention. I have the ID card here somewhere.....

Out the door in great haste.

15. kain preacher

@oxo

"He was lucky to *only* get arrested. At least they didn't chase him onto a tube train then stand on him and blow his brains out."

He was in NYC he wouldn't get that far. NYPD shot a guy 41 times because they thought his wallet was gun. NYPD also raped a man with a broom stick in the cop shop.

16. Steve Welsh
    Coat

@one of the anon

"Dons hat and leaves.."

Surely you actually mean "Dons hat, and leaves.." otherwise WFT were you doing with Don's leaves?

17. Sam Therapy
    Coat

@ Steve Welsh

And Don's hat, for that matter.

18. tony trolle
    Dead Vulture

usa is bigger so odds of finding a dead body is higher.

Google news on "palm desert body dumpster".

Just down the road from where I was working someone left a body outside a dumpster for a maintenance worker to find and load. Maybe the "finding" out part was not in the equation at the time; cannot say too much as information not released by police yet. :)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@oxo

Go on then. Goodbye. Don't stay in touch. Hope you enjoy your new life in Eutopia.

You still here?

20. Paul
    Paris Hilton

what!...no Paris ???

I was soooooo hoping Paris Hilton had something to do with all this, especially when reading "with his trousers at half mast and a jacket covering his "midesection".......but alas no.

This topic is closed for new posts.