back to article New North Korean missile tested in Iran

Reports are emerging that a new North Korean ballistic missile may have been test-fired from a site in Iran. The new weapon, reportedly dubbed 'Musudan' by intelligence analysts, after the well-known North Korean missile facility, was first seen during a military parade in North Korea last month. No photography was allowed at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any surprise?

Is it any surprise that those countries being threatened with utter obliteration in offensive acts by the US will join together?

2. Paul Fleetwood

hmmmm

is it wrong of me to be a little suspicious of US claims when it comes to Iran, and missile technology?

It's so hard to be sure what's real and what's propaganda designed to make the world ready for another pre-emptive invasion

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't be quite so glib . . .

"Is it any surprise that those countries being threatened with utter obliteration in offensive acts by the US will join together?"

Traditionally neither one has any love for the West and both are run by megalomaniac dictators. We are ALL their targets eventually -- regardless what loose cannon is at the helm in the U.S. administration.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"both are run by megalomaniac dictators"

Last time I checked Iran held democratic elections for the office of president and for positions in the legislature. Not necessarily as free as the ones we'd like, but a damned sight better than political systems run by countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Pakistan - our dear allies in TWaT.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meglomanic dictator desires on the west

"We are ALL their targets eventually"

Are we?

They sure found those WMDs in Iraq didn't they that Saddam was going to blow us all to bits with ;-)

6. Karim Bourouba

how far away is Tehran anyway...

I sure hope that they dont have anything more nasty than a convential warhead to put on those things...

How far away is Iran from the UK & Europe?

7. James

5000km

I wonder what the US sources base that number on. My guess is that the great circle distance between Tehran and all the major European capitals is less than that so they can persuade the Europeans that there is a threat to them from the evil Iranians as a pretext to war.

Personally I wont believe on trust any information the current US administration provide with relation to any of the "axis of evil" countries as they have shown they have both the political desire and ability to falsify such information where it serves their warmongering interests

8. Arnold Lieberman

Switch on the SmugShield

'"We are ALL their targets eventually"

Are we?'

Assuming they gain the capability to launch missiles at the continental USA or indeed Europe/UK, how do you propose the contents of the warheads leave the West's Guardianistas alone? Do you think they (Iran/Korea) give a flying t055 whether we as individuals support or disagree with the foreign policy of our governments? Just like certain Palestinian terrorists don't care if a BBC journalist is trying to be their friend or not, he was a target.

The fact is that if they do comission these rockets, they are going to be pointed in the general direction of the western population.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Current Affairs anyone ?

Too bad some of you folks aren't up on your current affairs. Iran turned from a moderate state supportive of university education (even for females) into a radical anti-western , repressively muslim state when Ahmadinejad came into power:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1677691/posts

Here, from an Iranian source reiterating that what he said was "normal" for Arab states, just not meant to be heard by others.

http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2005/November/Israel/index.html

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take a look in the mirror

Ordinary Iranians support their regime as much as we support Blair. They're no different to us - fed incessant propaganda, have dictatorial leaders, and would rather just get on with their own lives than try to end others.

11. Will

Alarmist much?

Clearly these sorts of tests are for intimidation and to garner public support in their own countries. Who genuinely thinks "we're all targets"? I mean, really, what are the odds of Iran launching a non-nuclear warhead at the UK. The amount of damage they could do with it, compared to the immediate and obviously overwhelming response from both the US/UK and wider would make it totally worthless. Why cause 320 deaths in the centre of london at the expense of, potentially, losing your country? Think clearly, here. These foreign governments that disagree with us aren't pointing a smoking gun at us, they're trying to play with matches to show that they're big boys too.

12. Tony

What are the odds?

What were the odds of 9/11?

The government of Afghanistan was warned of an "immediate and obviously overwhelming response" if they did not give up bin laden.

The Islamic fanatics/fundamentalists obviously chose to suffer the consequences.

Your argument was rendered faulty in October of 2001.

Time for you to "think clearly here", Will.

13. Will

Re: Tony

Nice hyperbole there but you missed my point entirely. The article was about the use of a long-range missile from Iran, and my response was to those who were crying about it being pointed at us. Such an obvious and traceable act of warfare from a country is completely different to a group of radical extremists loosely tied to regional terror cells throughout countries in the middle east, so I'm sorry but I really can't see how that corresponds to what I was saying.

14. Ishkandar

Pointed at us

I seem to remember that London was a target for a large number of rockets and that some of them actually landed and blew large lumps out of it. But then that was 63 years ago and they no longer make V1s and V2s nowadays !!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like