back to article LG: 1mm bezel on your telly, anyone?

CES 2012 Week LG's highlight at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which kicks off in Las Vegas this week: an HD TV with a bezel that's just 1mm thick. The set is part of LG's Cinema 3D line of smart TVs - in this case, it's one of the company's active 3D tellies. LG Cinema 3D 1mm bezel TV LG has used that to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sarah Davis
    Coat

yay to 1 mm, but,..

any multi monitor users have been waiting 5 years or more for smaller bevels, so it's about time, but does anyone give a flying poo about 3D. What is wrong with these companies? don't they do research? FORGET 3D, and concentrate on resolution. 1440p should have been here 2 years ago, and where's 2160. I hope they remember that many people prefer 16:10 over 16:9 as well

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

If anything there's too much rapid development. Perhaps if people to have a TV on contract like a phone with cheap upgrades then it makes sense.

When your 2 year old TV starts to look a bit dated then there's something not quite right.

1. It'sa Mea... Mario

@Giles Jones

Do you remember Radio Rentals? ( in UK circa 1980's - 1990's)

2. JC_

They're Tellies, Not Monitors

Nothing is broadcast in better than 1080p, so going higher is a bit pointless at the moment. Anyway, at the typical viewing distance for a telly, the extra resolution wouldn't be resolvable.

16:9 is the normal aspect ratio for tellies, so you won't be getting 16:10, either.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

There's a growing number of TVs that are hooked up to PCs for one reason or another (mediacentre, gaming etc), where resolutions greater than 1920x1080 could be of use. And let's not forget that many monitors are nothing more than HDTV panels wrapped in a slightly different casing, so manufacturing higher resolution panels for TV use would also have a positive knock-on effect in the availability of higher resolution monitors.

2. jai

awesomesauce!

want. this. so. badly!

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Alien

PC Monitors

Can we have some PC Monitors with this size Bezel please?

Mounting a couple of them roated vertically 90deg to give a 2160x1920 (or similar) screen with very little in the way of black vertical lines to show where one screen end and the other starts would be very nice indeed.

This move to 16:9 or 16:10 might be ok for viewing movies at home but for serious software development where vertical space is very important, widescreens are a PITA.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To anyone without 3D glasses...

it will look like the two players will be staring at a highly defective TV, since the 2 2D images wont be the same for each player. You already get 2-seconds-feeling of "defective TV" when you enter a store with a 3D-enabled telly.

Although I can see some future there, just add separate earphones and you can watch your football, while the missus watches... whatever she wants. It's two TVs for the price of one.

Win - win.

And yes, TVs with 2k + resolutions are due.

1. Richard Ball

Why stop at 2?

How about 4.4 separate channels, to cater for the average family?

It could even be a mechanism for social repair, to get everyone back in one room at the same time, like in The Old Days when there was sitting down around a table (remember that?) to eat or gathering round the joanna for a singsong or everyone watching Blankety Blank because there was nothing else on.

This could save the world.

Or at least look cool on the wall in the sitting room.

2. Drat

Hmm, think I am going to market some glasses that have vertical polarized glass in the top half and horizontal polarized glass in the bottom half, tilit your head forward and back to switch between your's and your opponent's point of view :)

In terms of a TV that can show the sport and soap operas at the same time you will also need a way of polarizing sound!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's been done

Almost. Spotlight speakers have been about for a few years now- modulate an ultrasonic carrier wave to 'carry' audible sound. The ultrasonic signal doesn't diverge very much, so you can only really hear the sound in a roughly-conical volume of space coming from the speaker.

4 of those would mean you'd be able to have Jane Austen on for mum and the sport on for dad- while the kids are both playing head-to-head Xbox games on the same screen.

Now THAT Would be worth developing! If for no other reason than watching the other side' being given a literal meaning.

5. greensun

Why, technically does an LVD screen need any bezel ? Surely the connectors etc can be bent ?

Because once the bezel is gone, we can build any size screen from lots of little ones.

And that's the end of the big-screen manufacturers.

Why is why I suspect they are not making bezel-free TVs, right now.

6. Clive 3
    FAIL

3D

I agree, 3D is a waste of time but most good new TVs come with it. You do not get a choice for paying a bit less for one without 3D. I have had a Samsung UE55D8000 3D TV for over 4 months and I have not played a single 3D film - even the free one that came with it.

I have to put up with a 10mm bezel - but I will live with it ;-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Screw tv's, I've been waiting for some slim bezel computer monitors to come out for AGES to make a kickass 3 screen Eyefinity set up. It's not like it's impossible to do - people have reported hacking off the bezels of certain monitors fine, showing it's just plastic and air in there in most cases...

8. brainwrong

"Instead of flipping rapidly between left eye and right eye images, to create the 3D effect, the telly can swap player one and player two screens, so each gamer sees the correct viewpoint."

What does this sentence actually mean, and what's it got to do with a bezel?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

It has nothing to do with the bezel

As you don't seem to be aware: active 3D TVs work by alternating their display between an image for the left eye and an image for the right eye. The glasses you use to watch 3D on these screens have shutters that alternately close in sync with the images on the TV, so all you see in your left eye is left eye images and vice versa. The speed at which this occurs is faster than your optic centres "refresh", so your brain gets a continuous stream of data.

What LG have done is devise a system where the "left eye" image is player 1's screen and the "right eye" image is player 2's screen. The glasses are then set up to close both shutters simultaneously, so each player's glasses only let him see images for his own game. The result is full-screen play for two players on the same TV.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

~All very well

But can I play Duck Hunt on it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like