back to article World's first mixed-embryo rhesus monkeys born in US

Genetic researchers have created the world's first chimeric monkeys, primates who were created from a combination of cells from separate rhesus monkey embryos. Chimeric monkeys Roku and Hex Chimeric monkeys Roku and Hex. Credit: OHSU The healthy monkeys were born after the boffins basically glued together the stem cells …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many asses do they have?

1. Ru
      Boffin

Another lab does donkey cloning

These guys don't seem to swing that way.

2. Richard Wharram

Only Rhesus Monkeys ?

Get working on the stem cells of New World Monkeys embryo-boffins! I want a prehensile tail!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The frankenmonkeys are cute, in a weird sort of way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks

More informative than todays paper anyway - I despair sometimes about how science stories are reported in the press, especially when it comes to genetics/cloning research. The deeper into this sort of research we get, the further behind the general public seem to fall - to the extent that it feels like there's one foot into "magick" camp already.

5. K. Adams
    Devil

"Well, Dimitri, every search for a hero...

...must begin with something every hero needs: a villain. So in a search for our hero, Bellerophon, we have created a more effective monster: Chimera."

6. dssf

Not for science, but for politics...

I can see some politicians in them. I bet some of THEIR DNA was supplied, too. It just wasn't listed as one of the totals.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Headmaster

I thought a chimera was made from *different* species

But finding out the differences between mouse and primate stem cells and learning how far you can push the mouse is just like a human analogy is a *key* piece of information for all future researchers in this area.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already done

They already did this with a couple of rhesus monkeys in 2009, resulting in the birth of Kai.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

Surely, this was already done in 2009, resulting in Kai?

10. mhenriday
    Meh

What do they mean by «first» ?!!

Not to name any names, but haven't people been following the prelude to the US presidential elections to be held later this year ?...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.