back to article The next Steve Jobs is: Kanye West

Steve Jobs may have passed away, but his mantle has fallen on ready shoulders... those of the hip-hop artist Kanye West, who promised last night on Twitter that he would continue the great man's work. Citing Steve Jobs, Michael Jackson and an unspecified McQueen as inspirations, Kanye announced that the time had come to make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndrewG

When did Apple start making things people wanted?

Apples business plan has always been to design something cool, TELL people they wanted it, and then try to stuff all the money people gave them into their pockets.

If these guys are talking about doing product the customers ask for..they aren't Apple, they may be Dell or HP, or if they then go and see what Apples got thats selling and try to do a better version they might be Samsung.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Close but no cigar

It the business plan of any _SANE_ company - build what people _WILL_ want and guess what they are _LIKELY_ to want _TOMORROW_.

The idea of building what people WANT today makes no business sense because by the time you are building it someone like Apple comes along with the correct guess of what they will want tomorrow and you are out (or nearly out) of business.

Nokia was building "what customers wanted" and had mandated all of their design process around the "customer connected" mantra. Look what it did to them.

So all in all Apple is right to build cool things and make you want them. That's a swell business plan.

2. Steve Ives
      Paris Hilton

what people want...

Was it Henry Ford who said "If I'd *asked* people what they wanted, they'd have said a 'a faster horse'"?

Paris - giving people what they want.

3. dotdavid
      Unhappy

"He also expressed the aim to make products that people want and can afford "

Dunno about you lot but the second bit was always the stickler for me.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

Please give it a rest.

So people don't want keyboard and mice that can be plugged in without a system reboot? (okay, MS-based PCs caught up... eventually)

Or an MP3 player that doesn't snag your pocket?

A power adaptor that doesn't pull your laptop off the desk?

A machine that wakes from standby almost instantly, so you can just fire off an email and then get back to what you are doing?

(Etc)

Apple products aren't perfect, but whose are? The same reasons that you and I don't use Macs are often the same reasons their intended market do.

Please, just give it a rest. No forces you to buy a Mac, and I fail to see how their presence can be detrimental to the systems that you do use. If you really feel that people not educated in technology are being hoodwinked, then please post on whatever forum it is that they read- Justin Bieber fansite, perhaps? Or maybe Home and Caravan Monthly. Just not here. Again.

I'm sorry, Mr AndrewG, I'm sure you just as humane and sane as the rest of us: It's just that this topic has a tendency to drag ElReg forums away from the actual topic of the article. It's getting really boring.

So, on the subject of the article in hand: Mr West didn't mention Sir Jony [Ive].

See how easy that was?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fishsticks

Do you like fish sticks?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suspect that these will be banned from canteen menu.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes I do and their proper name is Fish Fingers!

And only one company makes them properly! While we're on it. What is the Captain doing with all those kids on that boat? How far could he get with all 25 kids all saying, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? I need the toilet! I'm hungry! Can I have some sweets?"?

I seem to have gone way of track, best continue this down at the Red Lion. Anyone game?

3. Zack Mollusc
    Go

Well, Kanye could improve my television and radio experience by emulating Jobs, Jackson and McQueen more closely. Well, there would be a dip in quality at first, with the eulogy and such, but then it would improve.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

He could improve mine also..

By staying off both of them...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

twitter and recreational pharmaceuticals

don't mix

1. We're with Steve

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie, but she does talk a whole load of c**k!

5. KnucklesTheDog
    FAIL

And what exactly...

...is a "social media expert"?

1. Evan Essence
      Unhappy

Internet expert Kim Jong-il could have told us, but sadly I don't believe he did before he passed away. I guess we'll never know now.

6. Silverburn
    Facepalm

No...

...please no...

KW has as much talent - at anything - as a manically-depressed Amoeba. He seems to be getting confused by his management's 'packaging', and his own actual talent or personality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True, dat

... witnessed Mr West at last years' Big Chill festival. It was strange choice of lead act, but no denying the spectacle was very polished (and Apple white too). Unfortunately he stopped singing half way through and descended into a 15 minute diatribe about stuff until booed into continuing. Annoyingly I missed Example to watch him. (In my mind I mistook him for Jay-Z.)

7. Shaun 2

*Their

8. Mako

"...and an unspecified McQueen "

Clearly he's talking about Lightning McQueen, star of the animated Disney/Pixar movie, "Cars".

Kanye is planning on painting himself bright red, then running down the street making screeching noises.

1. TheOtherHobbbes

It's been done

See also: Lady GaGa

2. Marvin the Martian

Or

.. steve mcqueen the secret benefactor which lightning is named after, steve mcqueen the young movie director, or alexander mcqueen the loony designer.

It's like saying you were inspired by smith & jones.

9. Richard Wharram

Clearly a loon.

Fixing the prison system with a clean aesthetic and compelling design should work well.

iSlop - 8 Litre

iSlop - 16 Litre

iSlop - 32 Litre

iSlop2 will of course render it redundant.

10. A. Lewis
    Headmaster

Hummph

I'm fairly sure Mr Jobs, whatever failings he may have had, was at least literate.

11. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    WTF?

"waaaay doper"

And by that he means "very stoned"? Sorry, I don't get it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't suppose anyone noticed...

...how many times he tweeted yesterday?

He'll have to cut down on that if he is to continue the "great man's' work.

13. Dave 126 Silver badge

Presumably Alexander McQueen

Unless he's talking about fashions in wristwatches (not unheard of in money-laden hip-hop circles). The watches worn by Steve McQueen (Heuer Monoco, Rolex Submariner) seem to have a bigger influence than even those worn by James Bond (Omega).

14. Frank Bitterlich
    Trollface

Aesthetically improve?

"We want to help [...] aesthetically improve everything we see hear, touch, taste and feel."

So he's ending his carreer in music, then?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I am your king!" — You're a loony!

"He wants nutritionists and DJs in there too"

What, can't today's DJs rustle-up their own disco biscuits anymore?!

I think a McQueen is a Freddie Mercury branded burger from a popular high street fast food outlet, complete with burnt on moustache. It's popular with fat bottom girls.

Ba da ba da dayo! I'm lovin' it!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given how much bollocks Kanye talks...

.. the acronym should be DUNDA

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dunda

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cock

See above.

18. hb_decoupler
    WTF?