back to article Mk II... er, Tank Chair trundles into Las Vegas

The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week has seen a wealth of innovative ideas on show, and one such creative concept is Tank Chair. Strictly speaking, this isn't new, but the Mk II that was on show features many improvements over the original. As a company spokesperson explained to Register Hardware: "At first,it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes

Major drawback

This chair wouldn't fit through most standard 36-inch doorways.

On the other hand, you could probably ignore the doorway and just crash through the wall.

2. Robert Moore
    Thumb Up

Is it wrong that I want one?

There are some days when you just want to be able to trundle over anything.

3. John
    Thumb Up

Johnny 5

is alive!

4. Mark
    Coat

Similarity to Davros

Can it go up stairs?

5. Graham Lockley

Please..

..fit twin rocket launchers over each shoulder and the cheque will be in the post :)

6. Matt

@robert Moore

No, no it's not........

If I was in the US I'd order one and then fit a small turret to it.

7. The Mighty Spang

nah i want something else

saw june whitfield advertise this motorised 'comfy chair' once, zooming around a living room like a chintz davros. fell out of *my* chair laughing

8. Herby

But how fast will it go??

The Abrams tank (US Army issue) will go 90 mph (down a dead end street). With this 2HP motor, how fast will this thing go? If you want to get there (wherever 'there' is) you do want to get there FAST! Squash the peons who get in the way!

Get out the RPG's and missile launchers!

Oh, it doesn't have a game interface built in (shaker input and joystick output). Bummer!!

9. Trygve Henriksen
    Stop

10% incline?

That's not really that much...

It's not unusual that the accessroad to the beach is steeper than that.

10. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

How long before...

someone puts a supercharged V8 on this thing (it is American after all)

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Could it be?

Is that really a chair d'assault?

Coat please and can I have some of that cheese to go?

12. Daniel

Actually...

>The Abrams tank (US Army issue) will go 90 mph

No. Top speed of an M1A2 Abrams battletank is 45mph, on a totally flat paved road, 30mph (maximum) cross country. It's also worth bearing in mind that it does this, while consuming 4-6 gallons, of aviation-grade kerosine, per mile. Just starting the turbines up, in the morning, will consume 10-15 gallons: more, if the engine has not been serviced for some time.

(Do you see the 4000 gallon fuel containers on that chair? no, niether do I.)

At the risk to breaking the tracks to pieces, you could probably take the engine-governor off and get even worse fuel-economy/higher top speeds, but anyone whose actually been *in* a tank, ging flat out, will tell you that anything over about 40mph is fairly heamorrhaging, and only the prospect of being heamorrhaged by something else, that someone is shooting at you, would induce you to want to go any faster.

Please: grow up, boys. The inside of a tank, right next to the ammunition, has always been a nasty place to have to contemplate your own mortality.

13. Keith T
    Pirate

War on the beachfront

Considering the normal aggressive use of electric buggies at the seas side this will go down well in Eastbourne.

You thought you were safe on the beaches? -- now they've got tracks to go over the pebbles.

No doubt for the merkin market you can get a matching taser.

14. Tim Schomer
    Coat

@ Michael H.F. Wilkinson

Forget the supercharged V8, when's someone going to attach a JATO?

15. Paul
    Flame

@Daniel...

Or perhaps you could grow up and leave us to our fun. If any of us accualy wanted to be in that position we would be in the armed forces. We would rather have our fun laughing about how fun tanks are (Which they are, its the warfair that isen't)

Secondly, HTF can they call it a tank. As many people have pointed out, no guns. Now, what I realy want is one with guns, so that I can go to Spain and start blowing up Germans on there sun loungers on the beach, whilst whisleing the theam tune to the grate escape and other war films.

16. TheHempKnight
    Coat

Militant Stephen?

I have to wonder if Professor Hawking will be upgrading soon and getting a laptop and speech synthesizer mounted to one of these.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@paul

Actually

Warfare

Really

It's (contraction of it is)

Isn't

Their

Whistling

Theme

Great

Seven lines, nine spelling errors. Enjoy Spain.

18. Highlander

@Mark

Glad I'm not the only one to see the Dalek angle on this one. It is *very* Davros-like isn't it?

Now, where did I leave my Police Box?

Oooooohhh-AaaHHHHHH-OOoooooooohhh!

This topic is closed for new posts.