back to article LG preps '14in screen in 13in chassis' Ultrabook

LG announced its Z330 Ultrabook early in December 2011. Today, it said it will be showing the MacBook Air-like machine off at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) - along with a second, unannounced Ultrabook. This new machine is the Z430, a 14in job with a Core i7 processor on board as standard. The Z330 comes with a Core i5, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

4.1 channel sound on a laptop?

presumably the rear speaker(s) are held by the guy in the seat behind you on the train?

2. Jess

$99

less than a MacBook Air no doubt.

1. ThomH

That's not an idea borne out by 2011 prices

But then again, Apple don't offer an i7 MacBook Air so you can't really compare.

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

Wrong!

The 13" MBA has an i7 option. (although I cant get onto the apple store atm to confirm that)

1. ThomH

@Gordon 10

You're quite right; it's a build-to-order option that I failed to notice. I stand corrected.

However, example copy from PC World's write-up of the LG line: "Announced in Korea, the Z330’s prices in Korean currency are even higher than what Apple is asking for the MacBook Air." (source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/245564/lg_intros_thinnest_ultrabook_yet_the_xnote_z330.html)

The LG is more expensive than the Apple.

3. Timmay
    WTF?

Am I the only one confused at how you fit a 14" screen into a 13" chassis? Does the screen go off the edges of the case?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Explanation

There's usually a significant amount of space around the edges of the screen on any laptop, obviously LG have worked out how to reduce this in order to fit the 14" in.

1. Timmay

Good point, but I thought the days of you getting less inches than specified went years ago with the death of CRTs - surely 14" of LCD screen means you get 14" of viewable screen, which if I'm right, makes this seem all the weirder!

2. Nigel 11
      Boffin

Diagonal versus width

The size of a screen is its visible diagonal measurement.

Not sure whether there is a standard for the "size" of a laptop, but I've always assumed they were referring to its width.

Therefore it's quite easy for a screen to be "bigger" than the machine it's in. The maximum "size" of a screen is gigen by Pythagoras: sqrt( width^2 + height^2 ). Thes subtract the parts of the diagonal that aren't display.

4. HMB

IPS Screens or Equivalent

Would it be too much to ask for at least one of these new laptops to come with the screen tech that makes the iPad, Touchpad and some Android tablets such a joy to use?

I am so sick of laptops with crappy looking screens and terrible black levels.

If I walk through John Lewis and properly eye up all the laptop displays it's really just the very expensively priced Apple laptops that have screens which really look superb.

It's odd because you can buy a cheap desktop LCD screen and it's really not that bad, but put a screen in a laptop and almost everybody butchers the quality.

5. David Lawrence
    WTF?

If Apple sued Samsung because of the outward appearance.......

....of the Galaxy Tab, and how it could easily be mistaken for the iPad, then why on EARTH are they not already on the case with the manufacturers of this machine, which to the untrained eye looks just like a Macbook Air????

6. joejack
    FAIL

Specs

Every time there's a hardware review of interest in El Reg, I'm forced to surf to other sites for actual specs. According to Slashgear, the z430 maxes out at 8GB memory (vs 4GB for z330), but has the same 1366x768 resolution as the 13.3" z330 model (dealbreaker).

7. Luc Le Blanc
    Thumb Up

3D? Yes!

I take 3D photos in caves using a pair of Canon G11 compact cameras. I normally view them as a left-right pair with a stereoscope. A 3D screen would be most welcome! I'd be happy with the regular 3D model (I got plenty of circular polarization glasses from Avatar at Imax;) I'm afraid a glass-less 3D screen will be very expensive while offering a very narrow field of view.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like