back to article MIT student unicycles, Segway-style

A student at MIT has created a nearly self-balancing electric unicycle, imitating the kind of stability control seen in the Segway. Demonstrated in a YouTube video, the “Bullet” unicycle, created by MIT student Stephan Boyer, can’t manage to be self-balancing sideways, but does protect the rider from falling over in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. VeganVegan
    Facepalm

Well! If you insist on

running over helmets and sundry other road hazards, nothing will protect you.

2. Eddy Ito
    Thumb Up

Nice link, thanks

I really like riding tip 5;

"When you first press the safety switch, Bullet will assume an upright position as fast as it can, even if you are in the way. So don't be in the way (it can run into your ankles or run over your foot)!"

I'm assuming, considering the seat height, standing to the side and not square on while powering in on is a given.

1. laird cummings
      Facepalm

Ouch.

Wincing at the thought of a battery-powered gyro-stabilized hang-check.

3. Local Group
    Go

Just a suggestion

As the rider will never pedal this vehicle, I'd replace the pedals with pegs and add training wheels, called something extremely cool.

4. Aqua Marina

Go team Jacob

How come one of the werewolves appeared the moment a girl turned up?

5. mattb
    Facepalm

Ian Healy

One of the cricket commentators (Ian Healy) decided to have a go on the Segway around the pitch the following day (while the cameraman was being interviewed about his crash), and ... well you can guess what happened next...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/28/ian-healy-scooter-melbourne

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

replace the wheel...

...with a ball and it'd be self-righting in all directions.

1. Local Group
      Go

A maglev seat & thought control steering...

a consummation devoutly to be wished.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

..and go crab-style

The way a uni balances sideways is via torso twist, which changes wheel rolling direction, allowing the contact patch to be translated side to side (while the wheel is turning, anyway). Actual turning is difficult because total angular momentum must be added in one direction and then removed, using only a tiny friction patch in contact with the ground. The turn is achieved via a combination of friction and "carving." It's a bit hard to describe, but the rubber tread must do some scraping during each turn, which is actually audible if you listen closely.

A ball-wheel that can be driven in any direction is great, the payolad can stay balanced, but true turning becomes nearly impossibe due to the large friction patch preventing any actual angular change. Making the ball low-friction doesn't help because the turn-carving action depends on the wheel's shape to work, which won't be present on a radially symetric ball.

The result is that you can easily go any direction, but you can only face one way. Hmmm, sounds kinda cool, actually...

1. Robin Bradshaw
        Trollface

A robot that balances on a ball wont work you say, I guess i just imagined this http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_fankhauser_meet_rezero_the_dancing_ballbot.html

1. Local Group
          Trollface

Cool Demo. Thanks

I wonder if those three angled rubber drivers are any good at going uphill?

It would be great, tho, for keeping the dog out of the kitchen. :o)

7. John 62
    Megaphone

Real reason the cameraman crashed:

God doesn't like moving wide angle shots.

Remember the 11th commandment: If thou shootst wide angle, thou mustst keep it damn well static!

This topic is closed for new posts.