back to article Asus promises to open Prime bootloader

Asus has pledged to release a tool that will unlock the bootloader built into its Eee Pad Transformer Prime tablet, possibly from 12 January, the date on which it will be pushing out the gadget's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update. The Taiwanese firm blamed its decision to encrypt the Prime's bootloader in the first place …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hooray

for social media blackmailing...

2. adnim

Such a huge loss...

of functionality.

"As a result, the video rental service app bundled with the Prime will break when the promised bootloader unlock utility is applied, Asus said, as will any other service that relies upon Google DRM."

How will we ever cope without DRM.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

First against the wall

Heck, that bloatware will probably be one of the first apps deleted after it's been rooted.

Google Books works just fine (given it's crap UI design) on my rooted Droid, isn't that one of the DRMed apps? I'm thinking this unlock utility does a little more than just unlock things.

3. TonyHoyle

I smell blame passing

Since the galaxy nexus works fine for video rental when unlocked (not that I've tried.. paying more than blockbuster prices for a video on a 4 inch screen doesn't appeal). If google were that bothered you'd think they'd have done it first on their own device.

Also, you can't simply void the *entire* warranty because someone installed new software. Of course it's entirely reasonable to say if you install a 3rd party ROM and a software fault develops, tough. If the volume button falls off, then they'd have a tough time saying you caused it.

4. Craigness

iTard prepares to change name

Formerly known as "Probing analyst" (a name, not a description)

http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1274146

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iTard? LOL If it makes you feel better Craigy boy.

-- Sent from by 48 core HP Proliant

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/538670

1. Darryl
        Pint

Craigness has got you there though, Probing...

Probing Analyst

In Asus asked to decrypt Eee tablet bootloader

I'll change my name to I ♡ Barry Shitpeas if this comes to fruition

We're all waiting :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Got me where?

I will, once (and if) the tool is released.

I don't lie, unlike Asus has done many times.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good!

"will break when the promised bootloader unlock utility is applied, Asus said, as will any other service that relies upon Google DRM."

My heart bleeds! The quicker DRM is killed off the better. Anyone who buys DRM'd media is a pillock and should have more sense than to allow themselves to be held to ransom.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay

Great news, now I just have to get my hands on my pre-ordered Transformer Prime (which ebuyer says will be released on 12th Jan!). Fingers xd we dont have the same pre-order issues the yanks have had to put up with!

7. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What's the deal with the SatNav?

Have Asus never heard of testing? Sorry, GPS don't work, due to metal case we put antenna in. Doh! Would this not have shown up in product testing? They do have product testing don't they?

Some geniuses (genii?) can even work this out such that they make holes in the metal case, for the aerial to poke out of...

Surely this is even stupider than Apple's iPhone 4 antenna thing. Where at least they might have claimed the dubious excuse that whoever did the testing either used a cradle, or wasn't holding it 'wrong'.

8. Morri

Doesn't the iPad have a metal case? never heard any problems there with gps.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

@Morri

Yep. The iPad has a metal back. The 3G version has a little plastic 'window' at the top for the antennae to get their yummy radio waves through. My WiFi only one doesn't, which is possibly why it's worse than my phone and computers at picking up networks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like