back to article Oracle VM whips rowdy virtual machines into submission

Just in time for the holidays and giving techies an excuse to stay out of the kitchen and be helpful, Oracle unwrapped updates to its Oracle VM implementation of the Xen hypervisor for x86 servers and the alternative VirtualBox hypervisor for x86-based PCs and servers. Both of the updates were dot releases, but will no doubt …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HMB

Mmmm... the crashy goodness of VirtualBox but for the Enterprise.

I use VirtualBox for it's leading 3D support (3D acceleration in Linux makes it look and work a lot better) for Linux & Windows aero (which they finally sorted out). Free is a wonderful price too, but if someone suggested running something mission critical on VirtualBox I'd just laugh.

Only yesterday one of my VM's became inaccessible after I upgraded to the latest release and attempts to restore back to a previous snapshot failed. I had to clone it and terminate the original to get the VM working again.

2. Lance 3

I have a box with 20 physical cores (40 thread total) and using VirtualBox, each client takes close to an hour to boot if I assign 16 processors to it. A single processor and it is up and running in about a minute. The more processors I assign to the client, the longer it takes to boot. This is on a machine that is doing nothing at the time. 64GB of RAM, dual 10-core processors, six 600GB SAS drives. They say you can assign 32 processors to a client; I would hate to see how long it would take to boot.

1. fajensen
      WTF?

Maybe the same quirk as on VMWare: Assigning many cores to a Virtual Machine actually means that this machine will only run when it can grab hold of all the cores it "needs". The odds for that decreases with the number of cores requested.

I cannot remember what the "Do what I mean" option is called - as in "Hog a total of 16 cores".

3. Aqua Marina

But can it???

Does VB allow you to drag and drop virtual machines between hosts yet by simply dragging it between servers like you could with VMWare yet. Or do you still have to go through the whole export / import routine?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: But can it???

Stay out of my datacenter, you hear? Out!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like