back to article Sears sued for website that leaked customer purchases

Sears Roebuck and Co. is taking more flack from privacy advocates who say the retailer's websites don't adequately protect customer privacy. On Friday, a Sears customer filed a suit in Illinois state court alleging the retailer's Managemyhome.com website is "fatally flawed and was designed in such a way as to significantly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Franklin
    Joke

Well, that's nice to see!

It's good to see an old-school retailer catching up with the latest Web trends. Perhaps Sears can remake itself into the next Sony!

2. Peter Mc Aulay
    Thumb Up

Excellent

Stupid design *should* be punished. It's the only way they'll learn.

3. RW
    Thumb Down

Unreadable License Agreements

"Sears only warned users of the privacy implications of the software on the tenth screen of a 54-screen license agreement"

Reminds me of signing up for ADSL from my telephony provider and having the install CD present a very long license agreement in very small type in a very small scrollable window. I took one look, clicked "decline" and set up my connection manually.

Doing so had the added advantage of not installing whatever software Telus thought i needed; I can make that decision without their help, thankyouverymuch.

What the world needs are legal decisions that deliberately obfuscatory licenses and agreements such as these are not legally binding. If it won't fit on one browser page in 12-pt type, it should de facto be invalid. Paper agreements such as the infamous MS shrinkwrap license should be required to meet similar requirements to be binding.

This topic is closed for new posts.