back to article Tablet LCDs: seven-inchers outsell 9.7in panels

Shipments of 7in LCD screens surpassed those of 9.7in panels in November, it has been claimed. You can read that one of two ways. Either the combined sales of Amazon's Kindle Fire, Barnes & Noble's Nook, RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook - not a big contribution there, natch - et al, are exceeding those of Apple's iPad - pretty much …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob H
    Holmes

Correlation

Remember that sales of modules does not always correlate to sales out at retail and sales out does not always correlate to profit!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

7" or 8"...

Smaller tablets are also a lot more portable, my 8" Archos G9 is 2/3rds the weight and size of an iPad2, but has the same screen resolution, it's a difference for me that makes it much more comfy to hold for long periods and means that in my hands a thumb can cover half a screen making 2 handed use quite natural.

Plus of course, it was half the price for a 3G capable device. Sure it's plastic not aluminium, but I'm not a stylish guy, an iPad ain't gonna make up the slack.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

I'm guessing most 7 inchers are cheaper? so is it surprising that people are buying cheaper tablets as they're not quite sure what they will do with it?

3. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Not every touchscreen goes into a consumer tablet product

7" displays are a good size for embedded applications: equipment contol panels, high-end room-controls, and automotive applications all spring to mind.

4. Anonymous Coward 15
    Paris Hilton

Trying to find a

"that's what she said" here.

5. LarsG

I'VE SAID IT BEFORE.......

I'll say it again, more than a handful is a waste, small it beautiful!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not so fast

There's much to be said for size... its just that many people are a bit insecure about grappling with a big 'un in public. Bit easier to take the small, svelte model home to meet your parents, too.

6. andy gibson

Kogan Vs Transformer

I had an Asus Transformer tablet first. Beautiful piece of kit but so expensive.

I then got a smaller Kogan tablet direct from them for £80. Works beautifully, much more compact and manageable, fits in the pocket far easier rather than carrying it in a special carry case, and at that price I don't care if I drop it or sit on it.

1. Dave Fox
      Thumb Down

Kogan quality control

I bought a Kogan for a friend, as a cheap alternative to the Samsung Galaxy Tab. On paper, it was a no brainer, but after having to return the Kogan 3 times due to faults, it became very apparent that you get what you pay for! ;)

7. VLarousse

Well, the two primary 7-inch tablets mentioned above, the Fire and the Nook Tablet, were both released in November, so of course there are going to be more shipments than usual as they stock up stores for the first time. Also there will be more consumer interest in models that are brand new (especially the overhyped Kindle Fire, which even elderly, non-tech people have asked me about at work). 6 months from now, I doubt this will be the case.

8. fandom

Or ....

.. the rumours about a 7" iPad are true

9. Mikel
    Happy

One of each

Why not?

10. JaitcH
    Happy

Jobs was wrong on this call

Jobs poo-pooed the smaller screen when he introduced his large screen prior art tablet four months after the Chinese had 3D 7" models selling at retail. The ones I bought are still functional.

My employer has now sold eleven companies in the Indochina region all based on 7" format. Five of the companies bought some larger screened devices but almost all our clients preferred the smaller screens as they could be put in an overalls pocket; used inside machinery by maintenance staff, etc. One customer has given all their bus mechanics 7" units and another is an electric grid system operator.

I've had 7" units both my 4-wheeled vehicle as well on my motorcycle and the contrast is more than adequate even in bright sunny areas. And now the Samsung Tab 7 is here with a full range of accessories!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like