back to article AOL sings soothing profit lullaby to nervous investors

AOL has moved to quieten down investors after activist shareholders Starboard Value LP accused the web biz of making "staggering" losses in its traditional areas and sinking money in unproven new ventures. Starboard has just bought a 4.5 per cent stake in the company, according to Reuters, and promptly criticised AOL for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kain preacher

Wait ?

AOL has investors ? This is like holding on to last years hoping it will increase even though it's rotten in the fields .

2. Tom 35

AOL?

Who said there is no such thing as zombies.

3. Zack Mollusc
    Trollface

They should resume sending everyone floppy disks and CD's. They made loads of money when they sent everyone floppy disks and CD's.

4. Jacqui

AOL?

I thought they died when everyone stopped using V54 modems?

The only memorable thing they did was start some some politicos relatives career off by putting her in a "video dress" in their adverts.

5. Mr Young
    Alert

With the AOL numbers feel free to correct me! $ is it?

Turnover down by 800m? Profits from +248m to -782m? I don't know what to say - glad I don't have shares I suppose? Let it snow and all that xmas happy best wishes guff as well. Thanks

6. Trev 2

Dialup still seems to exist quite a lot in the US

From what I've been told,dialup is still popular in regions of America where they have worse telecomes companies than BT at its worst. I guess its these people who AOL can tap into, although not sure why they'd want AOL.

What baffles me is why on earth anyone would buy 5% of the company when they know it's crap!? Is this some kindof tax writeoff?

7. kain preacher

Dial UP

Just cause you have dial up does not mean you need AOL. As soon as I could I moved away from AOL to another dial up provider . I then moved to IDSL, DSL ,then Cable

8. CheesyTheClown
    WTF?

Have you seen AOL?

Really... you have to checkout their home page... it's truly amazing!

I had no idea they were still in business and when I went to their home page... it was covered with tabloid bullshit. It looks like it was purchased by "The Sun" or "The National Enquirer". It might actually be the worst web site I have ever seen in my life.

Now... a word to investors... REALLY?

9. kain preacher

Title needed for reality

When I first saw the words AOL and investors my first thought was to check the date . Nope not April 1st . Then I realize AOL's investors are probity like there users . The don't know any better , lazy, for got that they still have AOL and don't notice the $9.99 charge or just plain ignorant to the fact there is some thing better out there .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like