back to article Another Alliance pushes into White Space

The WhiteSpace Alliance will endorse the IEEE 802.22 standard for networks operating in unused television frequencies, but world domination is far from assured. While most developed countries are agreed that White Space should be filled – with unlicensed devices reliant on a central database of available frequencies – beyond …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

While most developed countries are agreed that White Space should be filled

Which proves Regulation is done now by Bean Counters, Lawyers and Arts graduates with no significant Communication Engineering input, or advice of real engineers totally ignored.

A database doesn't really solve the problems. Assuming users don't figure how to disable it.

This one idea that should be strangled at birth and all unlicensed TV band transmission equipment seized at customs. Otherwise it's going to be the worst thing that's ever happened to TV.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Please send your answer to 'Old Pink'

Who uses these long range WiFi slots? The two or three local microwave ISPs are hardly crowding the airwaves. It doesn't seem that cellphone providers have run out of places to put antennas. Individuals rarely need to send WiFi long distances because there's no fat pipe for the upstream. ATSC TV channels are ~19Mbps - hardly exciting for public Internet connections. I see nothing but lawsuits and ownership battles over useless RF gaps coming from this. Leave it for TV.

3. Robin Bradshaw
    Pirate

Wait what? Huh?

So let me get this right, if the white space becomes unlicenced space anybody can broadcast in (subject to power and such restrictions) there would be nothing stopping me from encoding and transmitting a DVB multiplex in the white space to run my own local pirate TV station??

Or a company making an end run round the cost of licences by starting their own national/city wide whitespace mux to broadcast adverts and infomercials.

This is all going to end in tears.

4. kain preacher
    IT Angle

I have a feeling this is like asking do you want to break your ribs or your collar bone. Both options painful, but more to the point why are you doing this .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like