back to article Make room, internet, there's another 5 million domains to fit in

There were almost 220 million internet domain names at the end of September, an increase of 4.9 million on June, according to the latest numbers from Verisign. The 2.3 per cent increase was driven largely by growth in country-code top-level domains (ccTLDs such as .uk and .de), according to the company's latest quarterly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

I WOULD LOVE TO......

pull the plug and switch the internet off for exactly 3 minutes, then watch the headless chicken run round in circles.

1. Andrew 59
      Happy

There's an app for that

There's a website for everything.

http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Turn off the internet - that's crazy talk

The internet is just a black box with a flashing red light on the top. There is no off button.

1. Steve Evans

Just don't drop it.

2. Paul McClure

Just another utility in our modern world.

We are dependent on many utilities and supply chains, think fuel and food. The internet as useful as it can be is just another piece of societies fabric. Be thankful for the many it employs.

3. Steve Evans

You're obviously the not the owner of a BT Home Hub 3 then... The internet is regularly turned off for a few minutes a week for me when I have to reboot the bl**dy thing to get the wifi to work properly again.

2. Scott Broukell
    Thumb Up

Just 3 minutes Lars

I'd be tempted to leave it off for a little while longer. Not for malicious reasons, (and I am not suggesting for a minute that you intend any malice yourself), but just to remind us how utterly reliant we are on the tech and maybe also as a reminder of simpler ways.

It would cause a mighty Pen and Ink (Stink - Cockney rhyming slang) and pens and ink might well be very much needed - ironically.

1. LarsG

NO MALICE....

We are so reliant on tech that I'm sure some people would think the world was about to end.

Look what happened when the blackberry servers went down and to a lesser extent when Apple owners and Android owners had to 'wait for their updates.

It would put things into perspective.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Scott

What's all this talk about "turning off the Internet" ?

If you really want to experience how depending we've become to technology then simply work your way through an 8 to 10 hour power blackout. That will require a whole new way of thinking and doing.

Taking stuff out of the fridge? You'd better plan ahead to make sure it stays open as short as possible...

Going to the bathroom? You'll be surprised to notice how you flick the switch automatically while knowing there's no power.

Preparing food? Works well if you also have gas, but if you cook with electric plates.

Drinking tea? First think of how to get hot water..

It might very well turn out to be a strong motivation to turn into bed early because its no fun sitting in a full dark house. Even trying to read something can become a challenge.

So really; you don't need to turn off the Internet. Try turning off the main powerswitch instead.

1. kain preacher

I've been there . We resorted to candles and radio. To heat the food up we used a Colman camping stove. I did that during the Loma Prieta earth quake and then when Eron screwed California over .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect these statistics are a load of rubbish really

A week ago I tried registering a domain and every name I could think of was flagged as unavailable.

It looked to me as though bodies unknown had registered every word in the English dictionary for the tld I was after.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder just how many of those 220 million domain names are lying idle, parked in the lay-bys of the Information Superhighway by would-be price gougers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe about the same as land and buildings owned by people who don't live or do business in them.

I guess not as much as gold owned by people who are not jewellers.

2. JimC

and then

after all the lying idle subtract all the tpyo squatters, all the spam domains, and finally all the domains that are pointless duplicates because oranisations have been persuaded they should register their name under every possible tld or country, which rather defeats the purpose of aving them in the first place.

This topic is closed for new posts.