back to article Android Trojan spams tribute to Arab Spring martyr

Hacktivists have released a manipulated version of a popular Android app to commemorate a Tunisian man whose suicide triggered anti-government protests in his country a year ago. Street fruit'n'veg vendor Mohamed Bouazizi, 26, set himself on fire after local government officials refused to meet him and discuss his grievances. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Kean

Permissions?

I wonder if the app asked for permissions to send SMS messages upon installation. If so, then it is partly the users' fault for granting such permission to the app in the first place. If not, what's wrong with Android??

1. KnucklesTheDog

Re: Permissions

True, but what happens when one day someone realises they can add malicious code to an SMS client for example.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Yes, it asks,

according to the Symantec article, it explicitly uses "Services that cost you money". Android is safe for good Christians to use.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find it quite amazing that an uneducated poor guy could be the spark that started something which end up toppling some of the oldest and most controlling rulers in the world!

really really amazing!

1. Jean-Luc
      Boffin

He wasn't uneducated

In fact, IIRC, he was a university graduate reduced to being a street fruit stand vendor because of lack of jobs. And bullied for not paying bribes as such to the cops. The general Arab populations in many countries have had so many years of crappy rulers that it was just too much, this time.

As far the Trojan goes, it could potentially have pretty dire consequences.

"So... you bad, bad terrorist, you wanted to revolt against our benevolent Dear Leader? Your phone tipped us off!"

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Would you prefer a conspiracy theory?

I figured that the simultaneous outbreak of spontaneous independent protest might be the work of about twenty teams of CIA agents in various locations. If the U.S. had the money. Well, I suppose somebody is getting cash from shipping drugs through Mexico, and the U.S. has used the drugs trade for money laundering in the past. Or something.

I also figure that they prefer military dictatorships who have a clear and simple view of how the world works. Which is why putting the military in charge in Egypt this year was good for them, but did not look good to people preferring democracy who actually thought about what was happening. Which appears to be just me. And I live in Scotland. Fortunately.

This topic is closed for new posts.