back to article Auld Reekie folk 'spend most on tech prezzies'

Today's piece of blatant puffery masquerading as market research comes from Geek Squad the embarrassingly named in-store tech support oppos for Carphone Warehouse. GS/CW would like us to know that folk in Edinburgh will - on average - spend £126.60 on tech gifts this Christmas, the highest in the land apparently. The firm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Calum Morrison

Aye right.

Edinbvrgh? Generous? You'll have had your TCP/IP then, more like...

2. Vic

Go to the Southampton store.

The reasons for people spending less there than elsewhere are readily apparent...

Vic.

3. ScottAS2

You'll have had your IT, then?

Letters.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's more Nous in the south

Perhaps those canny blighters in Soton prefer spending their hard earned ££££ on tech gear in places other than CW, PC-world and Comet?

There is a very good independent store not far away near Pompey. I'd rather go there even if it means a round trip of 50miles that shop in CpW or PC-World.

A previous poster (Vic) knows where I mean.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You mean Novatech. Very good is Novatech. Spent a small fortune in there myself. Handy for paying in cash so the missus doesn't find out.

Anonymous for a reason.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most likely Southampton residents are too technically astute to buy their tech equipment from Carphone Warehouse.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I imagine the huge comp sci department in a relatively small city has made the difference.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Absolutely, UoS s-too-dense would rather pi$$ their grants up the wall than spend it on tech...

7. Mike Wood
    Alert

Would you trust the Geek Squad

They maybe working over christmas, but will they be installing PC's laptops, tablets on christmas day? I think not!!

I will probably get a call from some poor user who got a new toy from Carphone Whore House(they sleep with all the networks LOL) and it hasnt been set-up correctly.

Companies like this keep me busy!

8. stu 4
    Happy

turnips

Which town's residents spend the most on turnips! thats what I really want to know.

my bet is Lowestoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Southampton

1. LarsG

SADLY it is........

The Anfield area of Liverpool that have the highest turnip sales. Something to do with a plate of Anfield Scouse.

To any southerners Scouse is either an obnoxious Liverpudlian or a bowl of stew, though it can be difficult to differenciate between the two.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

A young lady of my acquaintance refers to them as 'Greek squad'.

I believe she may have a point.

10. Mediocrates

Geek Squad used to be good

Then Best Buy bought them and stuck the name on their in-house tech support department. Surprisingly (to management) their tech support still isn't worth a handful of sour owl crap.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Working in a call-centre sucks at the best of time. A friend is working saturday & sunday. Happened to be her turn to do a weekend. It's Christmas? Tough luck it seems :((

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like