back to article O2 denies Nokia WinPho handset cull

O2 today insisted it has not dropped Nokia's Lumia 800. The Windows Phone 7 handset is simply "out of stock", according to the network operator. Temporary unavailability is usually accompanied by a note to that fact, but O2's website does not list the phone at all. A search for the handset yields an appropriate entry at shop. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Taylor

I hope they get a wiggle on, I can upgrade on Jan 6th and will stay with O2 if I can get one on a reasonable tariff.

1. Shaun 1

They have them in store, it's just online that has issues

2. jai

404 error now

now the links just give you a 404 not found

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Cock-up or conspiracy?'

With O2? Cock-up every time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of stock?

Really? as that would mean someone had bought them, which is utterly ridiculous..

Insiders are still insisting it's been dropped, as nobody wants them, but the "keep Microkia happy" brigade at O2 would prefer a no comment.

1. Dave's Jubblies

you are right...

Insiders?

Are you a journalist?

Or just Mr Ballmer/Mr Shitpeas posted as AC now, cos the story got sooo feckin old...

Anyway, as o2 clearly priced them deliberately at a level to make it appear unsellable...

I wanted one, but they wouldn't budge on their stupidly high website prices, despite me being with them for 6 years, and being out of contract.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Ah, Telefonica

Looks like they've finally brought their Spanish pricing to the UK.

5. JDX Gold badge

Idiot AC.

They probably had a small stock to start with.

6. Magnus Ramage

Updates - not just a WinPho issue

Surely two key software updates for a new handset is just SOP for Nokia? Back in the day it would sometimes take them several goes to get it right.

Will the official update be issued soon which flashes the OS to Symbian?

7. DrXym

By coincidence

I was looking for the Lumia 800 on the O2 site yesterday because Nokia are finally sending out handsets to developers. Which is nice. I wonder if they're selling or not.

8. Rick Leeming

Never had them...

To the best of my knowledge they never had them in stock anyway. Her Indoors asked for one as her upgrade, so I asked to be kept informed, and never heard a thing. I checked the website every single day, never a dickybird. Asked them 2 weeks after release date, they said they had no word on supply date.

She's now on Orange, paying less, with the handset she wanted.

TBH I think they are just trying to shift their old Trophy and HD7 stock, but TBH as much as I love my HD7, it's been over a year since release, and I wouldn't agree with anyone getting one now on anything over £25 a month.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I tend to agree...

I got a Trophy (rubbish name) just over a year ago and I think it's fantastic. I have been a long time Nokia owner but had got fed up with their tired offerings - the Xpress music 5800 (If I remember the number correctly) was the final straw, buggy software - especially sync with outlook - plasticy and generally not what it might have been. I never thought that I'd ever buy a phone with an MS OS, but was really impressed, particularly with the UI and the fact that they'd bothered to include an FM radio, unlike Apple. If I got a new phone again now, the chances are that it'd be a Nokia winpho, my partner says she will be dropping android for winpho as she likes mine so much.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I work for O2...

And we have at least 4 Nokia Lumias sat in our stock room right now. They're only in stores though because people's interest has been so high...

Also, just FYI, we've never sold the Trophy (only the HD7 and the Mozart). And the HD7 is available from £21.50 per month...

9. technohead95
    Alert

Out of stock or pulled from O2??

Who cares, if they're out of stock then they've managed to sell all 5. WP7 based mobiles suck, the metro UI looks like a child's toy and there's hardly any dev support. There is hardly anyone buying it. Those that do are destined for the same fate as those that purchased the Microsoft Zune.

10. Shane8
    Trollface

mmmm

Nokia still exist ??? Not had one of them since the first color ones i think it was around 6k series.

11. LarsG

Nokia? Nokia?

What the f***s a Nokia?

12. Nights_are_Long

MS mobile fail.

Why is this a surprise to anyone? win mobile has never really been a success before why would the new one be any better?

From what I understand the phone it's self is piss poor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nights_are_Long

Fortunately, your understanding is piss poor, its unfortunate that not content with believing everything negative that you read about WP7 but you also feel the need like many on here to slag it off?, why?? have you honestly sat down an used them all? from your post it suggests not.

Win Mobile never been a success? that kind of proves my first point, Long before even iPods where out We have been using Win mobile, for a large chunk of that time it was and to a degree still is used by a huge number of business, I have a WM device that has more functionality with my needs in mind than any modern mobile OS, yeah its a bit less slick, and yeah is not as quick but if you take games out of the equation it can still compete against the new devices, i dont use that as my personal phone tho, every device has a use, im fortunate enough to have a couple for different needs..

iPhone, Android devices, Windows mobiles and Windows phone all are great at what they offer, eash has pros and cons which when weighed up correctly by the end user means they have a CHOICE to pick a device that suites their needs the most

All this BS cock fighting about this or that OS being utter shite is nonsense and could very well lead to people making decisions about a phone based on crap info, with 24 month contracts out there it is a bit unfair to spread FUD about a device when in actual fact if they had just tried it they might well have rathered that one

Try them all, and then decide what suites you best, ignore everyone as most people are incapable of rational thought when it comes to these things

Happy Christmas!

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Pre-2007 there were quite a lot of Windows Mobile devices. There was a time when you only really had a choice of two platforms if you wanted a PDA. Windows or Palm (Or PSION, but they had sadly fallen behind). There were Linux PDAs from Sharp, but they weren't widely available in the UK.

PDAs turned into smartphones which was half of the reason why they weren't very usable on the move until the interfaces were redesigned for use with fingers not styluses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Giles Jones

Winmobe isn't just phones and PDAs, invariably it's handheld point of sale, those pads that you sign for your FedEx with etc. I don't see anything else in this field that is replacing Winmo.

13. JDX Gold badge

re:technohead95

Sounds like someone has neither used one of the phones, nor ever done any development work. But they did manage to get some pretty green thumbs-up by regurgitating what they read on the internet.

14. David Gosnell

Is this the same Lumia 800...

.... as Argos were reportedly clearing out for a penny under £120 the other day (though now back up to £450-ish)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

And even then

they couldn't shift them, which is why they figured they might as well sell none for full price, rather than none for £119...

Just in case some idiot stumbles though the door drunk on Xmas eve....

Paris, as even she is not dumb enough to buy a Microsoft phone...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Barry

Even for you, that's piss-poor.

15. Boogey
    FAIL

re:Nights_are_Long

You have understood wrong. It's simply awesome.

16. neb
    Meh

not as granular as android..

..but tbh its not a bad phone

just got to get to grips with developing an app or two to monitor data ala 3G Watchdog and tailored settings ala Timerrific and I'll be well happy

17. Graham Jordan

3 mobile do them for £400 unlocked

Where I bought mine from.

Still on the fence though. It looks beautiful and is oh so very fast.

But short of xbox live games you're more likely to find tumbleweed in the market than you are anything useful.

VNC? - No thanks, they're all shit.

RDC? £5? - Surely I'm not the only person offended by the idea of paying £5 for a Microsoft based product on a Microsoft phone not built by Microsoft?

Unless you use Live for your calendar then you can kiss goodbye to alerts for facebook birthdays.

There’s absolutely no customisation to the SMS app, I want to be able to turn off previewing so I can continue receiving smutty texts from my wife’s sister (Go SMS on Android, black list on iphone did this fantastically).

Tethering? If it’s in there it’s hiding away.

Why can I not use my phone as a portable drive? I could on my android.

Why is there no other keyboard other than qwerty? Some of us have fat fingers, I need a number pad keyboard ala button old school style.

All big flaws as far as I’m concerned. Maybe Apollo will fix this, but Mango just seems a Beta really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Graham Jordan

you seem to be asking why a lot, the answer to that is because your using Windows Phone, its new and its not pretending to be anything else.

There seems to be this big missunderstanding about phones these days

If you want a pocket pc which can do all of what you ask and then a stack load more, then get a WM device, nothing beats it, if you want a Cheap phone that shows you whos calling then get a Nokia 100, everything else sits on a line between the two. Different needs, different devices.

Brand loyalty is bizzar, just because one might like iphones now, doesnt mean you should stick with them forever, unfortunately this is exactly what "they" want you todo, and so far both Apple and to a slightly lesser degree Android have done this very well. But take Android, yes you can get a good device, but you can also get some utter crap ones, a relative of mine was given one the other day and its almost un-usable, but its android right? it can do so much more than a WP/iOS device right? it muight be better? right? no its doesnt have to be better at all.

These App stores have a lot to answer for, think of it this way, if you spend a shit load of money on apps, then suddenly a different OS comes out that suites you better, are you going to take the phone that does everything you want it too and does it much better or are you going to think, well, ive got all these apps, do i really want to ditch them all? chances are, if you have spent a fortune you will suck it up and keep your device, knowing for well that actually there is a much better device in a shop down the road.

A phone is a phone, WP adds a bunch of other stuff to the mix but at the end of the day its still a phone, just a very advanced one and it doesnt pretend (at the moment) to be anything else. you want a device that was killed off long before its time that can(could) do everything then WM was it, if the OEMs hadnt shafted us with cheap hardware and no drivers, if the Networks hadnt "tweeked" the OS and filled it with shite, if MS had kept up development and forced those arseholes to stay in line we would have a device that could better anything out there.......if a pocket PC was what you where after :)

18. Hubert Thrunge Jr.
    Linux

o2 Not impressed

I was speaking with a friend who works for o2/Telefonica, and I prodded him about the Nokia N9, to which, "Nokia & Microsoft have been badgering them to take the Lumia 800. They tried them out and were far from impressed, so are trying very very hard *not* to carry them at all.

There was a willingness to carry the N9 in the UK, but Nokia wouldn't supply them in the volumes they wanted/expected to shift, nor would they brand it for O2 UK.

I personally get the feeling, looking at o2's list of phones, and how few Nokias there are, that they have fallen out of bed with the Finnish phone giant, and are only carrying a token handful of handsets. Once upon a time, Nokias made up 75% of their offering, now it's only about 10%.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like