back to article Blast at Apple gear factory hurts 61

An explosion at an Apple supplier's factory injured 61 workers and put 23 of them in hospital. The blast shook a Ri Teng Computer Accessory plant in Songjiang in Shanghai at 3pm on 17 December, according to a filing with the Taiwan stock exchange by Ri Teng parent Pegatron. "While the cause of the explosion is under …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petur
    WTF?

So....

A spokeswoman for Apple told The Register that the company was "working closely with Pegatron to understand the cause of this accident".

-> so Apple is talking to El Reg again?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: So....

How's that for Christmas goodwill?

2. Jedit Silver badge
    Joke

Don't tell me ...

... it was the battery overheating, right?

On a more serious note, I hope nobody was severely hurt. It's not their fault they work for Apple.

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      FAIL

@Jedit: They DON'T work for Apple!

They work for Pegasus! Whose factories ALSO make stuff for the likes of Dell and Nokia.

Yet, for some bizarre reason, it's only Apple who are "to blame" for the problems of a completely different company that happens to be a parts supplier. Last time I checked, Apple didn't _own_ these companies, so it's just journalistic hype we're seeing here. Apple don't own China either, so their influence on Chinese working conditions is limited.

Would you blame GM for problems at their parts supplier SL Corps' factories in Beijing or Shanghai?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

I think you'll find

they work for Pegatron

It's not their fault that the company won a contract that could allow them to work.

3. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Bah

"The fruity firm gets many of the components for its iPhones and iPads from Chinese suppliers..."

Such a juicy line, and then you beat me to it Jedit: ".. it was the battery overheating, right?"

Was gonna say "They must be making iPhone batteries...." or somesuch :(

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I heard it was a terrorist attack. Apparently Android were providing the security but they just dressed up as Angry Birds and drove right in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot about...

What about HP, Dell, Asus etc - the other companies Ri Teng make stuff for? Didn't they have anything to say about the accident?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That wouldn't grab a headline as we know they're all evil and don't give a toss about worker conditions?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg;

What other major companies obtain parts from this company?

1. Tchou
      FAIL

Maybe Apple buy all the production?

Or maybe Apple is tied to the incident because they boasted for their social responsibility?

In any cases, defending by covering others with shit is always a loser move.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Tchou

"Maybe Apple buy all the production?"

Or perhaps it’s because that Apple has said its one of the plant’s customers and the company refuses to comment who its customers are?

Also, it's good linkbait using Apple's name - it gets hits, of course publications are going to use it.

"In any cases, defending by covering others with shit is always a loser move."

Who's defending Apple? This plant is a component supplier and there will be other customers – what’s wrong with saying so? If people give a damn about working conditions at such plants, surely it’s important to know just how many companies are customers?

I know it’s comforting to think it’s just one bad apple (sorry!), but it’s not.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Maybe Apple buy all the production? Or maybe Apple is tied to the incident because they boasted for their social responsibility? In any cases, defending by covering others with shit is always a loser move."

Maybe... maybe not. The Foxconn coverage taught me to look into such things. It was widely reported (especially gleefully by El Reg) to be a predominantly Apple issue, but the company produces bits for... pretty much every major tech company. I wonder if the same is true here. If you buy pretty much anything with a chip in it, you're financing Foxconn.

Every large Corp tries to sell the social responsibility thing to a degree, so that doesn't hold water, either.

How would naming all of the companies be in any way 'defending' Apple? If there are others, then the current headline is simply singling Apple out. Reporting all the names would be a more full and accurate piece of reporting.

Your statement make no real sense.

Y'know, I despise Apple and their stupid over-marketed, curvy-cornered, made-for-simpleton products, too. Deeply. *Really* deeply. But when gleeful mud-slinging starts to affect the depth of reporting and compromises the integrity of the publication, it starts to get lame. I'd rather read a full and interesting piece than another anti-Apple piece of propaganda.

I want the whole story. Then I can have my own rounded opinion on the matter, rather than simply another (potentially dud) piece of ammunition in the eternal 'Apple suck because...' debate.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The company is a spin-off from Pegatron, who are a spin-off of Asus, it seems. Asus appear to be their largest customer, according to their own company reports. They're also big in set-top boxes and LCD displays, and a whole gamut of consumer electronics. Customers also include HTC. They also contribute to the Nook and have a partnership deal with HP.

All from ten minutes of Googling. And a much fuller picture than simply 'they make Apple stuff'.

See: Reporting the whole story isn't hard!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

all the ones....

within a 1mile radius of the blast no doubt...

they just need to check thier roofs for early Xmas pressies for singed apple cores...

3. AceRimmer
      FAIL

WTF?

Sounds like you're more bothered about the mighty Apple's reputation than the well being of the injured workers

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sounds like you're more bothered about the mighty Apple's reputation than the well being of the injured workers"

No; I don't like Apple nor buy their products. I was more bothered by the fact that I could be funding such places by purchase of non-Apple stock and I wanted to know what other brands dealt with the company (as they invariably do).

And I was also concerned about the poor journalism and omission of facts.

But it sounds like you're more concerned with slamming Apple from some perceived moral high ground than anything else...

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Pegatron?

Oo 'r they?

I'm perfectly capable of looking it up for myself - it's just from the article it doesn't appear that the name has any connection to the events being discussed...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I may be very much mistaken but...

Ri Teng is owned by Pegatron is owned by Asus. Pegatron is the OEM supplier and Asus is the retail brand. Peg-asus, see?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: I may be very much mistaken but...

Nope, spot on!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this news? I'm sure their are lots of accidents and incidents at factories all over the world that supply parts to major tech players.

Now call me cynical but it wouldn't be that just because something is attached to Apple it's guaranteed to stir both the "fanbois" and their detractors on this here news site?

8. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Well, thankfully "minimal impact is expected for production." People are replaceable.

9. Rupert Rumblebum
    Joke

Sad mistake

As far as I am aware apples grow rather then being manufactured so why is trhere, seemingly, a factory for them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually…

I have argued with someone who truly believed that apples (the kind you eat) *were* manufactured. I was unable to convince him otherwise.

I still don't understand what would provoke that kind of confusion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like