back to article A Brief History of Virtualisation, now on Kindle

If you've ever wondered what time-sharing, multics and Unix have to do with today's hypervisor technologies, or why you should consider the global environment when planning your virtual machine strategy, then you'll want to read The Register's A Brief History of Virtualisation, on Kindle. El Reg's Liam Proven takes us from IBM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CollyWolly
    Facepalm

OK, I get it now.

I read the title and wondered what use virtualisation would be on a Kindle.

2. HmmmYes

I've just bought this. It better be good.

3. davenewman

I will wait until it is discounted to £0 for a few days.

4. Edwin
    WTF?

Wondering...

is there any particular reason you lot are suddenly plugging all sorts of Amazon products? Dropping advertising revenue? Unreasonable salary demands by the writing peasantry?

Personally, I find it a bit of a turn-off, but my employer would probably chalk that up to change resistance, so it may not be you - it's me. Really.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Boffin

They need income, being a business and all

I trust that answers your question.

5. Timo
    Coat

I thought virtualisation was supposed to save me money?

And then you go throwing me a book to buy. That's the consulting type answer - if you can't really fix stuff, there is at least a slice of money to be made in playing along.

I'll get my coat.

6. stunned

c'mon, guys, the world is a *little* bigger than blighty :-(

Well - I would read it... if I could buy it. Seems the folks at El Reg want to keep it all to themselves - and only those who have a .uk address.

If you have a *foreign* address, you can't buy from amazon.co.uk - you have to go to amazon.com - and it seems the publishing rights are only for the uk, because it ain't on the .com site. I sense a snafu here.. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: c'mon, guys, the world is a *little* bigger than blighty :-(

Forwarding this to our ops guys. I do know that Americans in America can buy these books. Or at least I think I know that Americans can etc...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: c'mon, guys, the world is a *little* bigger than blighty :-(

All Reg e-books are available on Amazon.com - maybe the issue is something else?

1. stunned

Sigh. Yesterday, on amazon.com, a search string in the kindle books page "a brief history of virtualisation" returned nothing found. Today - bingo, its there.... Its life Jim, but not as we know it :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re:

Good-o!

7. Mausi
    Meh

Minor quibble

I picked this up and read through it over xmas - it's a nice background overall but I have a quibble with the content.

It implies that VMware's x86 offering only uses their original Binary Translation method, and doesn't leverage the improvements in Intel/AMD processor technology thus making the other x86 offerings superior for doing so - this hasn't been true since ESX3.5 circa 2008, and hardware assisted virtualisation is now often the default.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like