back to article Netflix UK to stream BBC shows

Netflix's UK content roster continues to grow. Today it said it had licensed a stack of BBC shows including Doctor Who and Top Gear. The deal, struck with the Corporation's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, will see Netflix UK make many already shown series available to its subscribers. Netflix said it had its hands on Torchwood …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richie 1

Do you need a TV licence to watch BBC shows via netflix?

Or will it be covered by the netflix fees?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Do you need a TV licence to watch BBC shows via netflix?

It's 'old' BBC content, so no it's not covered by the licence fee. No more than a DVD is.

2. yeahyeahno

A TV licence is only required to watch broadcast TV, Netflick don't broadcast.

2. Neil Hoskins
    Meh

Blinkbox

I really hope that doesn't mean they'll be taken off Blinkbox. I, for one, am not going to have anything to do with any service that involves a monthly subscription.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm, all the stuff most of us have already bought on DVD, how useful! How about they license and show the new stuff like the brilliant documentaries the BBC excel at not a load of comedy and drama shite everyone has already seen in countless re-runs at Crimble!

4. b166er

So you want it all for nothing Neil?

<puzzled>

5. darkcompass
    Alert

BBC Worldwide, not BBC

This is BBC Worldwide, not The BBC. Worldwide is a separate company that buys the licenses off the BBC and resells to Third Parties for TV, DVD and Streaming.

Don't confuse the two.

6. NewOld86
    WTF?

The BBC should have all this content on the iPlayer - these shows have been funded by licence fee payers therefore we should have access to the content on the iPlayer platform, these shows shouldnt be used to promote payed for services like Netflix, Lovefilm etc...

Re:

You'll be asking for free DVDs next...

1. Daedalia
        Trollface

I don't think people mind paying for DVD's, distribution costs, server maitenance etc but they do mind having a profit scraped off them for another licence to view content that has been solely created using money they, along with the entire UK population, have forked out.

7. Niall

@b166er Blinkbox is pay per view not subscription

i.e. just like a conventional video rental store.

I use Blinkbox 3-4 times a month on PS3, it works out about the same for me as a £10 Lovefilm subscription. YMMV. Unlike Lovefilm though, Blinkbox stream new releases.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Can someone please explain

WHY I would want to pay Netflix so I can watch SOME BBC content, when I can use iPlayer for free and watch them all?

Surely this is EPIC Fail press release?

Re: Can someone please explain

Because, Barry, there's content that will be available from Netflix that will not be available on iPlayer, which is generally limited to what was broadcast in the previous seven days.

But Netflix is not the only source of this material. You can buy it on DVD or Blu-ray too.

Some of it is on - dare I mention the word for fear of what it'll do to you - iTunes as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

So in effect

Neflix is basically a pay version of Dave then....

OK then, this is even worse....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like