back to article Solar Cycle 24 is go: Official

Scientists are poised to confirm that a "modest knot" of high-latitude, reversed-polarity magnetism spotted last December on the Sun has become a full-blown sunspot heralding the beginning of Solar Cycle 24: NASA image of Sun showing magnetically-reversed high-latitude active region The sunspot, dubbed 981, marks the end of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Pettefar

Yippee!!

The bands will be alive!

Nick - Radio Ham (m0NjP)

2. Senor Beavis
    Coat

WE'RE ALL DOOOMED

Tin foil hat and coat for me

3. steve
    Coat

The magnetic invasion begins!

Planes dropping out of the air! TV and Radio scrambled! GPS not working! Don't you see? It's an invasion!

I would like to be the first to welcome our new overlords from Sol.

4. supermeerkat
    Heart

I wonder what Nostradamus had to say about this?

Surely someone must have dug out one of his nonsensical verses filled with vague metaphor, and interpreted it as being related to this solar activity cycle.

Come tin foil hat brigade, we're all waiting for more "proof" of Nostradamus's brilliance.....

5. Dave
    Alien

so what youre saying..

right.. hold on...

so what you're saying is... some swirly sh*t is gonna happen on the sun and it might make electric gizmos go hay-wire? Funky light shoes too??

Damn, the sun is awesome.

Will we need to wear FULL foil suits? Or funky aluminium* clothes? Italian suits of a fine shimmering aluminium, cool.

(no firefox, it's not a spelling mistake, it DOES have two i's and yes I can write firefox, thats not a spelling mistake either, f' off, wheres the British dictionary, I'm sure I installed it once already?)

6. Bo Pedersen
    Thumb Up

yaaay I can blame something else

when whatever I am in charge of fails, it was nice an easy in the early 00's :)

7. Chester Taggart

So I won't need a new microwave after all....

But I would like to have my pizza done before 2011....

8. Karl Lattimer

so when will the Olmecs get the credit?

According to the long count calendar the solar maxima happens in 2012... Which by pure co-incidence is the same year they believed the world would come to an end... again...

I will start selling Tin Foil hats on ebay, branded with "I told you we're all gonna die" written on them from 2011, unfortunately no pre-orders will be taken.

9. Steven Knox
    Unhappy

"you are here"?

Was that added by NOAA or El Reg? In other words, does NOAA think their audience are a bunch of gibbering idiots who can't read a chart, or do you?*

*Or perhaps both?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

is there any chance...

That intelligent people ( politicians and members of groanpeace / fiends of the earth excepted ) that anthropomorphic climate change does not exist , and in fact is a result of changes in solar radiation and takes place over a geologic time scale

11. Mountford D

Look forward to it

Can anyone remember the spectacular display we had over the UK in the late 80's or early 90's? It lasted a couple of days and the emergency phone line were jammed with calls from people who thought the end was indeed nigh and God was about to descend from one of the glowing billowing clouds of solar particles. It was pretty incredible, and to see it again from the comfort of my own home instead of having to travel to the poles would make my life.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

End of Times

Bring out your dead!!!

13. Matthew Smith
    Flame

2012 = Mayan prophecy

Its no coincidence. We're doomed.

14. jai

cycle 24?

why's it called cycle 24?

presumably this has been happening forever, every 11 years?

or have we only been paying attention for the last 253 years?

or is it just sponsorship by the Fox network for Jack Bauer's next caper where the sun itself treatens american freedom by dropping planes out of skies and frying satellites and mobile phones and potentially millions of people are going to die unless he can put a stop to it

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

London Olympics, if we're lucky

Either it'll be an excuse as to why the facilities are not finished in time (GPS equipped robo-diggers couldnt find their way) or if we are really lucky, it'll stuff the TV and then we are spared two weeks of this expensive wall to wall nonsense. (I know, I can just play my own DVDs, but think of the general good...).

What does the CoFSM think this all portends anyway?

16. Martin Brown
    Thumb Up

@Matthew Smith

2012, so that's 4 years to go.....

yay, I don't have to bother giving up smoking!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Is there any chance...

...that the climate change deniers can just shut their ignorant cake-holes?

The links with solar activity are built into the predictive and historical models and don't explain the current changes. Not even nearly. So shut up with the fear, uncertainty and doubt when I'm trying to get off home.

18. Red Bren
    Boffin

@is there any chance

AC[1] - Do you really think 11 years is a geologic [sic] timescale?

AC[4] - Well said.

El Reg, any chance of adopting my "Anonymous Response Subscript Enhancement" so we tell all these Anonymous Cowards apart? You can have the first 3 months, royalty free...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

MISTER PRESIDENT!!!

I've discovered that the SUN is involved in some kind of CONSPIRACY mister president I.. hello?

...and so kicks off the latest installment of "cycle 24"

Ey, by the by... how come all that aurora stuff was visible in the UK but not in Ireland? Come back, ye evil despots, and turn off the georgian aurora blind that you left on in 1922... what's that? Can't be bothered?

oh well...

20. David Moore
    Flame

Is there any chance....

... that some people on here have gone a bit mental? I've not met or heard anyone deny that the climate is changing... I have heard a lot of people question the mechanism that's causing it to change tho, which is a very healthy and scientific thing to do.

"Climate change denier" has an obvious and horrific connotations, and I'd be very very wary of any 'anonymous coward' that uses the phrase alongside the words 'fear, uncertainty and doubt.'

There's lots of evidence that current climate models vastly exaggerate the effect of CO2 on earths climate, just go and have a look. Google is your friend. There's also lots of evidence that the sun plays a large part in the warming/cooling cycles on the planet - not least that every other planet in the solar system is warming at similar rates to ours. I don't see anyone pumping CO2 into the atmosphere of mars, do you? Surely it's worth having a look and looking for evidence, rather than believing the mythical consensus.

We didn't even realise that plants released methane till November (http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/esthag/2008/42/i01/abs/es071224l.html)... be very wary of anyone that claims we know what's going on with the climate.

21. Herby

We can only hope for sunspot maximums

Many people dream of the maximum that happened around 1959. It has been downhill ever since. Maybe this time it will reach the high of the "good times".

P.S. When it DOES come, be sure to turn down the RF gain, the signal is much clearer.

WWV predictions N9 (we can only dream!)

22. Dave
    Happy

@Steven Knox

Or Steve, maybe you're a gibbering idiot and don't understand tounge-in-cheek humour?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@is there any chance

Solar variation theory is an accepted part of AGW models where it accounts for less than half of the global mean temperature increase over the past century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation#Solar_variation_theory has some useful references.

The ridiculously polarized debate on AGW among uninformed people is not productive. A scientists' task is to figure out the *relative contributions* of various factors to the observed GMT increase. Solar activity is a contribution that must be accounted for, *and so is human greenhouse gas emission*.

24. Waldo
    Thumb Up

Message to Bordom sorry Gordon Brown

Cheer up Gordon, your fortunes may be on the up at last. The Blair sunspsot activity finally diee as the polarity reverses...

25. JeffyPooh

Title = -.. .

Hello,

...- . .---- -... .-.. .-..

--. --- -.. ... .- ...- . - .... . --.- ..- . . -.

--... ...--

26. Mark Pipes

The return of the bands!

Hooray! The bands will open, QRP Forever!! :+)

27. Steven Knox
    Gates Halo

Tongue-in-Cheek Humour

Good point, Dave!

For my fellow gibberers, tongue-in-cheek is a form of humour where the humourist purports to be entirely credible, except for a "tell" (originally actually putting one's tongue in one's cheek). Ideally, this tell is not immediately apparent, but becomes apparent once the joke is complete, or just before the audience is ready to react indignantly. It's a bit more strict than direct parody, in that parody is free to identify itself as such, whereas tongue-in-cheek works best if the audience doesn't realize that it's tongue-in-cheek until the joke is complete. It's also tough because if your audience isn't quite intelligent or perceptive enough, they may miss the tell.

One example might be posting an "indignant" reaction in a forum known for its indignant posters, with a flip footnote as the tell.

Can we get a gibbering idiot icon? Oh, there it is!*

*Okay, I see two of them, but can only pick one. Guess which is the other one!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cycle 24

Wasn't the last one called Y2K?

29. steve
    IT Angle

oh god......

*and so is human greenhouse gas emission*.

Yes it is, but not all greenhouse gases are CO2. Most of them are much better at being greenhouse gases than CO2. So can we stop talking about CO2 as if it is the worlds only f*!king problem? And if one person says "carbon footprint", i will find where you live and shove my carbon footprint right up your ass. Thanks.

So anyway, back to the sun thing. I'm guessing it'll help keep us IT guys in a job or just generally give us an excuse to do no work?

"The servers down! We need it fixed now!"

"Sorry, can't. The Magnetic waves from the sun are interfering with server and we just can't get it back up. We'll keep trying though........"

30. Dave
    Jobs Halo

@Nocks

err.. didn't look like a flip footnote to me? Anyway it had a sad smiley! Mine had a happy smiley and was obviously just a friendly vehement insult *grin*

This topic is closed for new posts.