back to article Fanbois locked out of iTunes store, iCloud in Apple outage

A number of Apple fanbois have been shut out of their iTunes store and iCloud accounts since last night as their login details fail to work as expected. Attempts to access the services are thwarted with either a 'fatal internal error occurred' message being shown or the software simply saying that the password hasn't been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

when, where, how?

My account accessed from the UK has not seen anything of this - was is locally a problem?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

was is locally a problem?

I think we'd all like an answer to that....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been said before

But all this from the company with the slogan

'It just works'

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Where are you Craigness? Shouldn't you be whining about this AC's idiotic and inaccurate post?

Just for the record, "It just works" has never been used as a slogan by Apple, nor have they claimed as such. It is mentioned by Apple users and by and large that is what most end users experience, however when something does go wrong the noise from the peanut gallery is deafening.

It does need mentioning that offerings that are based online, like services such as iCloud which we understand to be running in part atop Microsoft's Azure and Amazon's AWS platforms (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/02/icloud_runs_on_microsoft_azure_and_amazon/) are prone to outside influence and could, in part or whole be responsible for any outage. So is the fail Apple's, Microsoft's Amazon's or two of the three? Guess we'll never really know. But hey, that doesn't give you grounds to troll, does it? And the up voters, as much sheep as any fruity fanboy out there...

1. PsychicMonkey
        Mushroom

calm down dear

before you pop something!

2. Ru
        FAIL

Just for the record...

"It just works" is present here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/icloud/

I'm sure you could find other examples if you bothered.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Still not a slogan (a byline is not the same thing) and, other than on the support forums, it only appears on the iCloud section of Apples site.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It Just Works

"Just for the record, "It just works" has never been used as a slogan by Apple, nor have they claimed as such."

Also here: The Mac — it just works. http://www.apple.com/science/whymac/myths.html

and here: iPAD - http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/ipad-at-work/docs/iPad_at_Work_Edit_Documents.pdf

You know, just for the record.

2. Tchou
      Holmes

Don't you think the problem is more on the concept part ("clouding" data) than on the service provider part?

3. Michael Hawkes
    Angel

An omen

As foretold in the App of Revelations. Signs and portents, I tell ya. Steve Jobs didn't die; he was just leaving ahead of the rush.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why...

... would apple be running their login server on windows?

That's the only explanation I can think of for a crash... I mean if it was apple hardware/software, it would be completely infullable.

1. Patrick O'Reilly

Foggy

Could be due to Apple's cloud platform straddling both the MS Azure and AWS

1. dogged

Neither of which are reporting any recent outages and the twatosphere is not filled with howling users.

So, I doubt it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eggs, basket.

6. paul clarke
    Happy

LOL

Just LOL

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT IS A SIGN........

The end of the world commeth.

Either that or Steve is sending a message that he's not happy with the way things are going!

8. jonathanb Silver badge

Had problems this morning, but it seems to be working now.

9. Steve Todd
    Thumb Down

Both UK and US accounts are working fine here

It doesn't look like the major outage that the Reg is trying to push it as.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

The reg isn't trying to push it as anything. Take a look on twitter if you want to see how widespread it was.

Your reasoning is as flawed as I'd expect of a fanboi. The fact that it works now does not prove that it's worked for the last 24 hours. Anyhow I'm sure we'll get loads of fanbois telling us that it has worked all along and that everybody else is lying.

10. AndrewG

Already fixed

Noticed it about 4 hours ago in Australia when iTunes decided I didn't exist.

Noticed it was fixed 2 hours ago...so not a huge outage time wise, but the problem with a single appleID for iTunes, App Store, Support and iCloud pretty much hosed everything apple in the big wide world.

Meh, at least I could check that it was a server issue and see if it was fixed by failing to log on to the apple support communities, would have been nice to see a message somewhere saying there was a general problem.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why are they described as 'fanbois' instead of 'users'? I don't own any Apple products, but that seems like an unnecessarily twattish way to write an article

1. .thalamus
      Thumb Up

Yeah, it's getting very old that one now. And I don't particularly like Apple either.

As well as fondleslab, and various other stupid terms that El Reg has hammered to death and beyond...think up some new ones guys, or just stop trying to be funny, because you really aren't. It's *boring* now. ;)

1. dogged

because they complained about "cultists"

1. TheRealRoland

I want my

Lappy and mobe back!

12. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

twitosphere?

Think you put a I where an A should have been!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All my napster downloaded music works just fine on my pc. Funny that. *smug grin* Oh, and it was free.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

All the downloaded Apple stuff worked fine as well. It just wasn't possible to download or buy new things.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oh, and it was free."

Or stolen...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or stolen..."

You mean pirated? It hasn't been stolen unless it is no longer available at the source.

14. Jim Coleman
    Devil

"Where the Blackberry goeth, so doth the Apple Follow". - Ancient pie-maker's proverb.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One bad apple.....

....sorry, is that my coat?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The magical Apple are human! WOW, shocker eh?

17. zen1

Given all the pomp and circumstance surrounding all of the iCrap, I still think it's funny. Absolute control and power lead to absolute chaos when one tiny thing runs afoul.

18. Darryl

RIM needs $$$

Wonder if they can sue Apple for blatant copying?

19. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Devil

Logging in to iTunes....

....well, there was an app for that!

20. MacGyver
    Devil

Told you so.

Anything not kept in your personal control is not really yours.

Media that has DRM that is dependent upon talking to a "validation server", is not yours.

OS installations that need "server validation" to work are not yours.

E-books that can be turned off and removed from your possession at any moment, are not yours.

A new iPod that can't be used for anything because iTunes is down, shows you that you really are not the owner of anything.

People need to see things like this as a warning of what's to come if we don't stop cloud-based services and the bad practice of allowing companies to sell us DRM equipped media.

Try to leave your children a vast collection of iTunes purchases, see how that works out for them. It's really quite novel, possessions and wealth that can't be passed on anyone, like a one-way road for money.

21. Jean-Paul

Yep

I had a little blip on Thursday evening which is now explained. Been connected from Satursday/Sunday for 48 hours non stop uploading iTunes Match stuff no problems...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like