back to article Grand Theft Auto 3 fires towards fondleslabs

This time ten years ago, Rockstar's first 3D rendition of the GTA series was keeping PlayStation 2 owners up all night. Grand Theft Auto 3 now seeks to inflict similar insomnia on fondleslab fanatics, after it was released today for iOS and Android. GTA 3 While controls have been optimised for mobile devices, the game is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice

Running on my Asus Transformer and my Sony Arc S

0.99p each in effect.

2. Eddie Edwards
    Pint

Does anyone play these?

I'd drop £3 for the novelty value, but I'd never finish the game with those controls. Does anyone here actually play through games like this on iPhone? How do you avoid dropping the iPhone the whole time while holding it and using both thumbs? Am I just an old codger who doesn't get it? (I used to get it, but then "it" changed, and what I got wasn't "it" any more.)

1. Euchrid

re: Does anyone play these?

In my experience, dropping the phone isn't a problem - and these type of games do play surprisingly well.

However, the size of the screen is something of a sticking point for me (e.g. thumb sliding over an area that I want to be able to see) and personally, I'd prefer playing on a tablet.

2. Stephen 2

I tried

I tried playing a similar style game on an ipod touch. I found it a real pain in the butt and was always loosing control. Maybe if you spend long enough playing then you can get used to it..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I found touchscreen games on the other half's iPhone difficult to play due to the lack of tactile feedback.

Maybe I'm behind the times, used to joypads with buttons rather than touchscreen areas and waving arms about a la kinect.

3. Si 1

I've been playing GTAIII on my iPhone 4 for most of today, and I'm now a few missions into the second island. So in the case of this game, I'm definitely going to try and complete it. The controls are pretty decent, so it's not like some ported games that just don't work on a touch screen. There are plenty of games on the iPhone that I can't be bothered to complete thanks to shite controls.

I'd say to only real drawback is performance gets quite laggy and slow when there's a lot going on. I'm sure the iPhone 4S is fine but my old iPhone 4 is single core so it struggles in comparison to all the dual core devices the game supports.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a laugh, I might have to get that on my Galaxy. I still have my original GTA3 CDs and now play it under WineSkin on my Mac, still a great time waster!

4. Peter 48
    Go

Works on Galaxy S2 after all

Despite Rockstar insisting they had no plans whatsoever to enable this on the Samsung Galaxy S2 as little as a week ago it appears that something has changed as I have just downloaded and am playing on that very same phone. Although I am no sure why I paid £3.23 and not £2.99 as everyone is reporting. Is this a VAT thing?

1. SteveK

Yes, I was wondering about £3.23. Especially as it also offered me German and Japanese versions at £3.21, although those have just gone up to £3.22 as I watched.

The other oddity is that it shows as being a mere 18Mb in size, while the IOS version (which is £2.99) is 462Mb. I can't imagine that developing for IOS brings in that much bloat, so what is missing from the Android version? Is the Android version really that small, or is that an error? Does the Android version have the soundtrack? (I don't know if the IOS version does either?) Does it download game data separately from the main program so as not to need to re-download the whole thing every time?

Steve.

1. DavyBoy79

Downloads

Just bought the game, and the first time it runs, it downloads over 400mb of game data. It appears to have the original soundtrack which is awesome, loved the radio stations!

2. Euchrid

@Peter48

The £2.99 is the UK iOS price - from various reports I've read, although the US price is the same on both platforms, the Android Market price was going to be £3.23 over here. I suspect it's to do with the pricing structures being different for both markets, but don't know for sure.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yep 3.23 here too...

Wondering if the price is on a sliding scale cheap at first but gets more expensive as popularity increases...

5. fatty lewis
    FAIL

Bought for Galaxy nexus.....Crashes on startup.

Suppose i should of read the description the clearly says Galaxy nexus coming soon.....

6. Dave's Jubblies
    Thumb Up

classic timewaster...

3 quid well worth it, as soon as someone can tell me if it runs on slightly lower spec'd tabs...

CM7'd touchpad here...

7. Stephen 2

Downloading on my Kindle Fire now

I've got it downloading on the Kindle Fire now. It's downloading around 400mb so it might take awhile on my connection. I'll come back and confirm whether it works or not.

8. Stephen 2

No go on the kindle fire

So after patiently waiting for ~400mb to download, I've sorry to say it doesn't work on the Kindle Fire.

The app opens and it does the opening animations/credits but then the screen goes black and the game exits.

Shame :(

9. Jim Coleman
    Paris Hilton

Is it true it's dual-core only? So won't work on any iPhone except the 4S, and also only on the more recent Android phones?

And what are the controls like? It's just a direct port of the PC/Console version isn't it, so the touchscreen controls might be a bit pooh?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

Paris, because she gets stopped by the cops too.

10. jai

awesomesauce

recently played GTA3 again when it came out on OS X a couple of months ago. was a massive slice of nostalgia. and quite surprising how much fun the game still is. graphics, obviously, looked very dated, but will be interesting to see how they fair on the mobile screens, probably look quite reasonable.

there's no finer way to pass the time than driving around Liberty City, working for the mob, listening to Lazlo on the radio offending just about everyone.

11. Jay 2
    Happy

For £3 I could definately be interested! Not 100% about the touchscreen controls, but I'll probably give it a go.

12. NewOld86
    Meh

this will just bring back good memories and frustrate the hell out of me.

With games like theses hitting tablets and phones, Android and Apple need to release clip on controllers.

13. c2423
    Thumb Down

Care needed...

I paid for and installed this on my Galaxy tab. It spent over 15 mins downloading stuff before breaking i.e longer than the timeframe Google allow for getting a refund.

Incidentally, Google's refund policies appear to violate distance selling law in the UK...

14. Paul2724
    Thumb Up

Great on the Asus Transformer - not sure I'd want to try this on a phone - I'd consider it mostly for tablets

15. Parax
    Facepalm

Refund Problem

Anyone else see that the 15 min Google refund policy is not adequate for a 400MB download over 3g (30 mins to download!)

16. Parax

Great on Asus Transformer..

Anyone got a linky to keyboard controls though I have'nt found them all...

17. Putonghua73
    Thumb Up

GTAIII iPad2

I'm still playing this on my Pc (when I get round to fixing it) and decided to purchase it on my iPad. For the price of a very large coffee, I have the wonderful Lips106 and Head Radio available for my commute, let alone 'jacking a variety of vehicles just to drive around Liberty City, with camera flare as the sun rises / sets.

Not only is it quite staggering to be playing this game on a tablet, but also for the price of £2.99. A steal, if you pardon the pun.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like