back to article Apple 7in iPad not out until Q3 2012

Keenly hoping Apple will bring out the 7in iPad of rumours past? You'll get your wish next year, apparently. To be precise, it'll be a 7.85in job, Chinese supply chain chat maintains, but it won't be out until Q3 2012 at the earliest, DigiTimes jotted down today. The 7in panels will be coming from LG, and the moles reckon the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bishoprock

I want functionality not a toy. 7" is too small.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a toy

So get a 10" one. I want portability, not a glass pane to lug around. I have my 7" Samsung Galaxy tab with me at all times. It has no games on it and I use it at least once every couple of hours.

2. Generic_Web_Guy
    Meh

Surely what the world really needs is a 24in tablet?

3. Mike Wharton

Perfect for retina segmentation

I can see the smaller screen keeping the now rather lacklustre 1024x768 res and the 10in model getting a beautiful 2048x1536 retina panel.

Apple needs new ways to differentiate, and a super hi-res panel is one clear shot way to do it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A useless xmas present?

So "Apple has said in the past that 7in isn't a good size for tablets". It is certainly then for that very large useless xmas present market. Xmas 2012 to be uselessly exact.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/19/jobs_onseven_inch_ipads/ indeed

5. MikeS
    Happy

presumably...

Amazon will then be able to sue Apple for slavishly copying their screen size ;-))

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

When have these rumours ever been true? they keep mentioning an iPhone nano but it's never happened.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmmm

current iPhone 3.5 inch screen... new iPhone 4 inch screen... curent iPad 10inch screen... new iPad 7inch screen...

isn't that what fanbois call fragmentation?

1. Paw Bokenfohr
      Stop

I'm assuming you're being genuine and not trolling...

...so I'll bite.

No, it's not fragmentation, IMO - so long as the screen res remains the same, it's fine, so if we have one screen res for iPhone 4, 4S, (hypothetical) 5, which are all exactly 2x that of the iPhone 3G and 3GS and then one screen res for the iPad 1, 2, (hypothetical) 2Nano (this 7" one) plus exactly 2x that for the iPad 3 then really it's all the same as it is now.

All the iPhones have one screen type, and all the iPads have another, the only change being the long anticipated, expected, and planned for addition of the iPad 3's retina display. Not fragmented at all, as they have built in the ability to handle the 2x resolutions in to the OS quite neatly.

8. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

You're all wrong

These are the screens for the new 7" iPhone. That'll sort out all those pesky reviews, where people claim the larger new Androids have superior screens...

Personally I think the iPhone 4 is too big, and prefer the shape/size of the 3GS. Let alone some of the 4.5" behemoths.

I wonder though, if they couldn't really bugger up the Android tablet sales. More than they already have that is. A 7" iPad at £300 might look pretty tempting in comparison to any of the Android tablets. I really don't think Android has got the name recognition in the UK that I suspect it has in the US (from all the ads in American Football matches I see).

9. Darryl

Wow, I thought for sure Samsung would be supplying the screens

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a toy

It's just a cheap toy to get kiddies using an Apple product.

11. JeffyPooh
    Joke

Apple slavishly copying the RIM PlayBook

Wanna bet it'll have a 16x9 aspect ratio display too? Maybe even stereo speakers? Apple - they're nothing but 2nd-rate trying-hard copy-cats.

(Please note the Joke Alert.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like