back to article Marmitek Gigaview GV820 wireless HDMI sender

When it comes to HDMI senders, it’s the quality of transmission and ease of set up which generally sets one apart from another. The smart-looking Marmitek Gigaview - yes, it does sound like the name of an Austin Powers villain - does well on both counts. The TX/RX pair sport a curvaceous glossy design and are supplied with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bluesxman
    Coat

Marmite(k)

Well you either love 'em or hate 'em.

What? No, I don't have anything constructive to offer.

I'm going, I'm going.

1. Luther Blissett

Prefer Marmaldek on my toast

This is the problem with brains - parallel parsing!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why cook your cat in a microwave...

... when you can fry your children with Wifi?

1. handle
      WTF?

Ooh videos please

I'd love to see children, cats or even ants being "fried by wifi".

3. Tom_

The manufacturer claims a transmission distance of 10m between walls.

What does that actually mean? Are they saying that the two units can be placed upto 10m apart if there are no walls in the way?

1. Natalie Gritpants

Rekon so

Expect a lot less if you actually want to use this between rooms. Since not many people have homes more than 10m in any direction it would be better to specify the number of stud walls it can go through. Or brick for you old-fashioned types. People with rocks in their walls know the drill (pun intended)

2. Owain 1

please try and break it

Come on reviewer! Bit more detail please!

Can you give us an indication of what your walls are made from? Mine are 2 or 3 foot thick stone....

Can you push the system to see how far apart you can get it before it starts dropping or doesn't cope etc. would be a good rounding of the review. Also can you review the picture quality using 2 tvs next to each other, but one using the transmitter, and one the 'through' channel. Any difference? time lag? etc.

I find it very annoying when there are two sound sources (e.g. TVs) and they're a fraction of a second 'off' in timing. Does this apply?

1. Danny 14
        Go

aye

if you have stone walls then you know as well as I do that stone eats wifi. My "n" with stock antennae will not reach through our slightly less than 2ft stone wall and across to the next room (LOS would be about 10m) however with a few 3rd party 7db antennae on the top I can get an "n" signal though. I very much doubt this box will get through stone. Getting it across the same room so that the setup is more "wife friendly" is good though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least it's not eating all the 802.11 bandwidth

I still think cables are the best digital solution, and if you want to get an image from the back of the room to the front then the best solution is a projector, but it's nice to see digital image repeaters not using the same bandwidth range as WiFi - I've lived in fear for some time that one of my neighbours will get a cheap wireless TV device and my surfing bandwidth will disappear.

It's almost progress.

5. handle

No good I'm afraid

The wireless isn't gold-plated and as thick as your thumb.

1. Danny 14
      Coat

I lol at the downvote. I guess a daily mail reader.

1. handle

Probably more likely a hifi comic reader

or writer, or advertiser

6. Alan Edwards
    FAIL

£250, and it goes 10m

This costs £250, and the range is only 10m?? That's not very far. and at 5Ghz anything in the way will cause serious attenuation.

How much does a 10m HDMI cable cost - £10 tops? Maybe I'm missing the point of this box.

7. Anonymous Cowbard

Missing the point?

Perhaps the point is, variously:

People see a £250 tech solution as better than a £10 physical solution

Some people genuinely don't know how to drill a hole in/thru a wall

Wives abhor wires

Landlords abhor drilling holes in walls

This topic is closed for new posts.