back to article Phone-hack saga: Cop bung probe nets seventh suspect

A 37-year-old woman was arrested this morning by Scotland Yard officers working on Operation Elveden, which is an investigation into allegations of "inappropriate payments to police". The unnamed suspect was cuffed at a home in Surrey, the Met said. She is currently being held in custody at a south London police station. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dephormation.org.uk
    Holmes

Still no cops arrested?

If you pay bungs to the police, you need a recipient.

So why has no police officer been arrested for receiving corrupt payments?

<< Sherlock, because the Met obviously need some inspiration, instead of backhanders.

1. 100113.1537
      Thumb Up

Without wishing to get into conspracy theories...

- this comment is very relevant.

To me, this is the biggest issue of the whole thing. Journo's listening to people's voicemails is hardly hacking and - while certainly an invasion of privacy - little more than going through your rubbish. Similarly, singling out the NoTW was fun for a while, but hardly relevant because it is on record that other newspapers were doing the same.

No, the way too close - and now shown to be corrupt - relationship between the police and journo's is where this investigation should really be focussed. If they are arresting people for paying for information, then the people who were paid have committed a far more serious crime and should also be arrested.

2. rurwin

Red Stripe's Recipe of The Month

Unfortunately I can't include a link because it hasn't made the leap from vinyl to YouTube. I can't even find the lyrics.

Back in 1983 the Flying Pickets lampooned Operation Countryman, which aimed to catch all the bent officers in the Met. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Countryman if I remember correctly, no one above the rank of Sargent was implicated, but I may be wrong,

The recipe was for toad in the hole. It includes such gems as "...less than a grain of the truth... ...mix to the consistency of a whitewash... ....With Countryman Pork Sausages it's only the thin skinny ones on the bottom that get done; the fat ones on top stay as pink and as plump as when they were running around as pigs in the sty... ...Bung in your bangers, bung in your batter and I guarantee you a dish that will not only go down well with the Met, it will also be suitable for public consumption... ...don't turn the heat up too high..."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Still no cops arrested

> So why has no police officer been arrested for receiving corrupt payments?

Cause they're too busy losing the evidence ..

2. Paul E

Tech angle

is that Murdoch junior blaming his blackberry as he only read the top bit of the email.

1. Tom 38

I'm sure NI shareholders are loving this

Their Chairman was informed about illegal goings on at one of his companies, and didn't bother to either fully read the brief that his staff gave him or follow up directly with them on the illegality.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And so far no currupt police officers have been cuffed for taking said bribes.... And I bet they never are.

4. Nev
    Thumb Up

FPCA

Hopefully there are some 5-year jail terms waiting for some NI corp bosse in the US is the prosecution goes all the way.

Bonus!

5. Microphage

Unnamed suspect

The unnamed suspect has been named ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16195863

This topic is closed for new posts.