back to article How to get a top 10 iOS app: a Wednesday launch in Italy

Getting into the top ten apps on iTunes is something developers aspire to, but figures from Distimo show the huge disparity between iTunes markets around the world and across the week. Distimo styles itself as an app store consultancy, and so it set out to establish how many applications one needs to sell through iTunes in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Almost all the app stores have become repositories for mountains of mediocrity"

Almost all???

1. h3

FDroid

FDroid market has non adware non junk Android apps. (Thats the exception to the rule). Very little of the mediocre stuff (And adware is prohibited).

http://f-droid.org/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: FDroid

Nice! Thanks for the link.

2. Eddie Edwards
    Paris Hilton

Iron Maiden

Reminds me of when Iron Maiden released "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" the week after Xmas and hit number 1 since no one bought singles the week after Xmas.

They were trumped by Enigma two weeks later and never returned to #1.

(Paris, because she's no maiden and I doubt she can iron.)

3. Jonathan Walsh
    Stop

33%

33% downloads over the weekend doesn't sound that significant when you consider that the weekend is more or less a third of the week. Alright ~ 29%, but still near enough.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: 33%

My thought exactly. I was actually thinking that downloading games and other timewasters onto a plaything would occur mostly on WE, so I was expecting 50% or more on WE. Apparently a lot of people do waste their employer's money...

Oh, yes, I know there are also a few "productivity" apps around, but not that many (especially when you remove the vast majority of apps solely aimed at *pretending* to be working) and you usually only download one per task. I think it's safe to assume that over 80% of all downloads are for timewasters*. I foresee a big drop in Minesweeper and Solitaire's market shares. When will Ballmer's woes end?

*From examples around me I would estimate 99%, but let's be generous.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like