back to article Feds cuff KISS rock star's DDoS suspect

The FBI has arrested a man suspected of taking part in a DDoS attack that smashed KISS bassist and reality telly star Gene Simmons’ web site off the internet. Kevin Poe, 24, of Manchester, Connecticut, was cuffed and appeared in court on Tuesday to answer charges of conspiracy and unauthorised impairment of a protected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious gag...but

If convicted Poe shall do this 'nevermore'.

Sorry - I'll get my coat.

2. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    Coat

misnomer

"LOIC, be default, does nothing to hide the identity of its users, a shortcoming that led to the arrest of many alleged Anonymous"

So not very anonymous then...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rendition?

If they nicked him in CT, why are they trying him in CA? I assume they have Federal courts in CT? Genuine question and not a dig at the justice system, I’m just wondering why they want to transport him across the length of the country. I thought the point of a Federal crime was that the state the crime took place in is irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why CA & not CT?

Probably that is where the ISP that hosts Simmons' web site is located. Just a guess.

2. Bill Neal

CA

Gene Simmons most likely is taking him to court in CA, since that's where he is, and probably where his website is run also. The real question is did the taxpayers fund his flight across the country? probably. What a waste of effort.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOIC, what a crock!

Oh well, at least that's one more dickhead taken out of the loop for a short time I suppose!

5. Tom 38
    Unhappy

Bah!

I misread the title as "Feds cuff KISS rock star" and got all excited for a minute.

6. DrXym

What a dummy

Anyone participating in these sort of attacks is advertising their IP address to the target. If the target is doing any sort of logging then it is relatively simple to follow the address back to the attacker. They may as well chuck a brick through Gene Simmon's window with their name and address tied to it.

7. Surreal
    FAIL

Proportionality

According to the U.S. Attorney's office statement, he could get a maximum of 15 years for his heinous crime. Presumably, he slowed down someone, somewhere, who may have desperately needed to, ummm, download pictures of Gene Simmons?

<Peewee Herman Sarcastic Voice>I am sooo happy I live in the United States, home of Freedom and Justice, and not a police state like China! </Peewee>

I wonder how many lashes he could get for blasting an obnoxiously loud car stereo outside Simmons' home, DoSing verbal communication? Oh, a $50 traffic ticket? Right then.

The mind boggles.

8. Thomas 18
    Unhappy

cuffed

Cuffed, in case he breaks free and starts DDoSing all over the courtroom. Or possibly just to imply guilt in the minds of the jurors. Didn't see Conrad Murray cuffed did you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like