back to article Microsoft adds iPhones to SkyDrive party guest list

Microsoft's cloud has partially descended on the iPhone with SkyDrive now available for Apple's super-soaraway mobile. Microsoft has unveiled a version of its SkyDrive online document storage and sharing service tailored for iOS, along with SkyDrive for Windows Phone. iPhone customers can now access all of their files in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't panic

Apple will 'fix' that in iOS5.xxx as soon as they realise.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in before Barry Shitpeas!

It's worth a try

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Let's have some

Super soar away - superfluous

Links to apple goodies but not Android and that other thing - total lack of balance

It's not even a review of the software.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are plenty of dedicated Android sites out there of you aren't happy with the level of coverage here. I suggest that you Foxtrot Oscar over to one of those. The more you fandroids behave like this, the more sites like this will ridicule you.

4. Rob K
    WTF?

Great! Now how about a Windows version?

You know, to make the service actually usable?

1. MacroRodent
      Meh

a "me too" Microsoft product, but not totally bad

I have been dipping into the web version (which also works on non-IE browsers on Linux, mirabile dictu) as a part of my cunning plan of archiving my pics on multiple free services for redundancy. I find it is quite typical of what happens when Microsoft make its own implementation of someone else's idea. The basics work but there are strange holes. Eg. it seems t ignore JPEG orientation, and cannot automatically order pics by date. On the positive side, Skydrive allows you to download an entire folder as a standard zip archive, so it does not hold your data hostage (mirabile dictu again; other MS programs love to practice hostage-taking).

5. matstone99
    Thumb Down

Onenote the first Apple App? What about Messenger, Photosynth and TAG? They have been around for much longer!

6. LarsG

A FUSION OF SORTS...

Soon, it will be APPLESOFT, OR MICROPPLE.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. eulampios

verba manifesta

Or more precisely, MicroAppleShit.

Not sure if everyone knows this. The Latin for "apple" is "malum", which in turn, is homonymous to "evil". Microsoft is synonymous to MacroShit, on the other hand, hence the fusion...

7. Scott Wheeler

It's a pity that there is no support for notebooks based on Sharepoint. This would me much more useful for business users as it is often not acceptable to put private information on a Microsoft cloud server. Without this, it has no advantages compared to Evernote.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long do we have to wait

For iCloud on Windows Phone (or even Android, or files on Windows PCs?)

9. Goat Jam

APPLESOFT

There used to be an Applesoft back in the Apple II days

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patchy service

Dropbox is a good example of cloud based storage. Sugarsync is another.

Yes, 25 gigs of free storage is generous. But it's not as easily accessible. And accesibility is the key.

If ye almighty Microsoft aspires to be competitive, it needs at least OS parity with these two exemplary examples.

As yet laughable as it is, there isn't even a sync client for Windows. You know, also by Microsoft, the world dominating OS today. [The Live Sync is something similar but seperate (god knows why), and has been known to kill switchable-graphics notebooks because it also installs a virtual graphics driver of all things..]

Anyway.

Access through browser is no excuse. It's consumer oriented cloud storage for finangle's sake, of course there needs to be web access.

So..

Only one word for it yet: incomplete.

1. n4blue
      Holmes

Shocking

Shock #1 - small independent ISV makes a product that's better than Microsoft's offering.

Shock #2 - Microsoft has two products that overlap and conflict.

I use both DropBox and SkyDrive - neither are the perfect solution but this is a still-developing segment.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cynical, moi?

Have things changed? I seem to recall that big corps like MS, like to sucker people in then when they have a little spat with another corp suddenly pull support and leave users high and dry while the pair of corps argue their pathetic points in court for 2 years. At the end of which time the service that was originally offered withers away to nothing because of all the bickering.

When I see some corp being nice my spidey-senses start tingling and go on the defensive, they never do anything at all in the interest of their customers, there's always strings!

12. Eddie Edwards
    Meh

API?

So is there an API for this so apps can load/save to Skydrive or is it just an app to let you browse files with no hope of using them? Couldn't get much from the links. The former makes it at least interesting. Anyone know, or even have a link to the iOS SDK download?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like