back to article Fans lose grace with Star Wars MMO

Star Wars: The Old Republic fans are getting hot under the collar after it emerged that they may not be able to continue playing the game with pre-release "Early Access" code once the title hits shop shelves. That might not matter so much if developer Bioware hadn't said such a so-called "grace period" would be in force. Star …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£9? I'll wait till it bombs and goes f2p/micropay

2. Nick Davey

If you think the grace period rage is bad

you should see the comments about the early game access!

3. GrumpyJoe
    Thumb Down

£46 for 6 months?

Bugger that.

4. dwieske

any news on how buyers of the digital copy get their key?

5. Colin Millar
    Flame

EA games and customer service

EA knows that its customers are a bunch of thieving pirates and will continue to treat them accordingly.

1. Criminny Rickets
      WTF?

Who's the Pirate and Thief

They are charging people for the game, then are charging them to play said game, and you are calling the other people pirates and thieves???

1. Colin Millar

Oh dear

People with such a complete lack of ironing should be dragged out and shot in front of their families.

6. Thomas 4
    IT Angle

Glaring Inaccuracy

"Star Wars: The Old Republic flies onto UK shelves tomorrow, 15 December."

Actually, I'm pretty sure, according to the heavily marked calander in the kitchen, the pre-booked day off and endless adverts on every gaming site everywhere, that it's the 20th it's released.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And remember not to complain in any area where EA has acces to your comment or they might lock you out of all EA games. By "accident" ofcause.

8. ColonelClaw
    Thumb Down

Yuck

The art direction in this game looks exceedingly ropey. Skyrim, it isn't.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I long for the good old days.

When you could just buy a game and pay for it - once, not ongoing forever for the rest of your life - and then play it.

10. Kyoraki
    Unhappy

Oh dear...

Looks like the usual good intentioned developer vs uncaring publisher malarky again. Lets hope Bioware can convince their electronic overlords to bring back the grace period before the game goes live.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get a life and/or girlfriend!

...What I tend to say to my MMORPG colleagues for whom being deprived of their beloved game for even a day, really is the end of the world (of warcraft).

12. Reue

Errrr..

Game not avaliable until 20/12/2011. Tomorrow is when the preordered early access starts,

13. LarsG

ONLINE GAMERS....

spend almost as much time playing online games as working.

Now that's what I call quality of life.

14. James O'Brien
    Thumb Down

Not surprising

While I plan to be getting the game and most likely will be playing the hell out of it, this is typical of EA. They continue to lose focus on the customer and promises made end up being nothing more than bullshit when they finally come time to make good. EA has become a company for gaming that I am very skeptical about due to their lack of support for titles more than a 10 months old (C&C games as of late) and the rushed productions schedules they give everything now just so they can make a buck (BF3).

Knowing how EA is they will some how manage to mar the launch of the game with technical issues and crap customer support.

EA needs to die but unfortunately that wont happen as they have some of the highest priced IP on the market.

15. Dave Murray

Correction

"Star Wars: The Old Republic flies onto UK shelves tomorrow, 15 December. Each copy comes with 30-days access, thereafter customers must pay either £9 every month, £25 every three, or £46 for half a year."

Or buy 60d time cards from Amazon for £18: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006FAZ12Q/

16. MrJP

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

17. Meph
    FAIL

The Lost Continent

Seeing as Bioware seems to have forgotten that Australia was colonised by Europeans over two centuries ago, and left Australia off the beta test list, I think I might hold on to my cash and wait for something more worthy.

Tis a shame too, I was really excited by the preview movie they released..

18. ColonelNZ
    Meh

I would have loved to order digitally...

But that wasn't really an option for those of us who live outside the privilege zone without faffing about with VPNs and such. According to the lovely customer support rep at Amazon they will email me my game code when it is generated so while I'm a wee bit skeptical about that here's hoping it's true.

19. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hey, it's EA !

What, did you expect to be treated fairly ?

Or - gasp - did you actually expect them to KEEP THEIR WORD ?!?

20. Myopic Aardvark

Glad I went Origin

Although that thing is now off my machine and all traces of it burnt, as it has done it's job - I should get the code via email around 12pm tomorrow and then my last worry will be gone.

Early start worked okay for me, got in on the first wave and have been enjoying playing it - very smooth - much better than beta (although that's probably me realising I hadn't had SLI enabled for 4 or 5 months - it still ran okay on one card, but boy did my graphics cards fans get a workout. Now, not so much.

Looking forward to a good couple of years playing this - we'll see if it lasts the 6 years I managed to play City Of Heroes for.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Game released on 20/12, not 15th

The early access actually started at midday on the 13th, as they moved the date forward 36 hours. Release date is the 20th

For most physical preorders, there is no problem as they will get the game before release date. Game shipped out my order on Sunday and it arrived this morning. Digital I assume will activate on release date via origin.

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Game released on 20/12, not 15th

It was previously scheduled for the 20th, however the dates were all pushed back a few weeks ago, revising the launch date as the 15th. You should be able to pick it up in UK shops from today.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After a month or 2...

...the players will come back to World of Warcraft.

23. mr-tom
    FAIL

Game is currently unplayable

Lag on the servers reaching 70000ms. Stood in the middle of a room full of players who can't go anywhere.

Pathetic.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the problem?

"Release day" is the 20th and my copy is showing as shipped on the 12th.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like