back to article Go Contacts EX

There are dozens of dialer apps in the Android Market. Actually, that’s a lie: I’ve found nine. The best I’ve tried is the dialer component of Contacts EX from the Go Developer Team, one of the most consistently impressive and reliable bunch of coders for the Android platform. Download Go Contacts EX and you end up with two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The who Go platfrorm

is excellent. Highly recommended for any Android user.

Go Launcher EX, Transparent Theme, with Go Messenger, Go Calendar and simple Slip effect makes iPhone owner look in serious envy...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can it sort contacts by surname rather than first name? The absence of this is the most irritating feature of the standard Android contacts list on my phone

1. Al Taylor
      Alert

From the author

Yes it can.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Well, the HTC dialer is in my opinion as ugly as sin..."

Woah stop right there, it's not just the dialer, it's the whole of HTC sense that's as ugly as sin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HTC Sense

All depends on your take of things. I quite happen to like the HTC dialer, contacts and Sense integration overall.

Then again, the best thing about Android is if you don't like it, you can change it relatively easily.

2. Ilgaz

New on android scene but ...

It seems their gui engineers are feeding the android 3rd party ui development. I mean htc.

4. Jas 1
    Meh

some good, some bad

Good, a dialer that lets you search by partial phone number (not just the start of the number like the HTC one) So if you know the last 3 digits of someone's number you can enter that, or if you type someone's local number without the area code, you can dial that to find the correct entry)

However, i've not seen a way to select which number it will dial if a person has more than one number associated (moblile/work/home) At least I can't see how to do it. This is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

1. En_croute
      Happy

If you're entering the last 3 digits, it will only bring up a single number - or as many as it matches from all your contacts.

If you enter a name, as shown above, all the numbers of that person are shown.

To use the last 3 digits method, go to the Contacts tab, enter the last 3 digits, of say the home number, long press the name and "View Contact" and then you can dial any of their other numbers at a single press.

I've had this for 7 months on a SG-S2 - very easy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ some good, some bad

Long press | view contact, not elegant I know.

5. Ilgaz

Go thing

If you love the thing you do, people will make you number one without any advertisement and even if you barely speak basic English. Go numbers are a lesson for all suits/ soulless developers out there sitting on their fake hippie offices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah

You sock it to THE MAN, girl

6. jay_bea
    Thumb Up

Just testing it now..

and it runs on my Venerable HTC Hero running CM7 based Elelinux. I had tried a couple of dialers but none, until Go Contacts, had the thing I missed from Sense - matching on numbers and names from the dialpad. So, dialing 742 will bring up numbers starting 742 and contacts starting Ric ("Richard", for example). Brilliant.

7. Eponymous Bastard
    Coat

'Phone?

Does anyone use their smartphone as a telephone much any more?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...cheaper to text or tweet, for me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like