back to article Cambridge puts Isaac Newton's notes online

If you're looking for a bit of light reading this holiday season, Cambridge University is here to help: they've digitized and made available online over 4,000 pages of the pioneering scientist and mathemetician Sir Isaac Newton's most important works. Philosophiæ naturalis principia mathematica title page Principia title …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PT
    Headmaster

At last!

All those hours I spent studying Latin in school weren't wasted after all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Mmm Latin!

Well my school boy Latin is getting a good kicking.

It's certainly written in a rather different style to modern works. A lot more interesting to read but very heavy going. I suspect even the mighty Google Goggles will choke on this.

Top stuff.

3. iamzippy
    Unhappy

Dude! This Is So Lorem Ipsum!

What's with all the Latinspeke??? In teh book???

4. OziWan
    Thumb Up

This is what the Internet was always about

Well done. I hope others will be inspired to publish the many works of just as equal importance that are out there.

5. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    FAIL

Which Cambridge?

Keele University had all this stuff at one time before the dickheads sold it to America.

I can't imagine a British Uni putting anything online for free. That is a strictly USAan policy.

6. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Time was that a University *was* its library so it's nice to see one of the oldest in the world putting some of the important works in its library online.

@I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects WTF has Keele got to do with it? It didn't even receive its charter until well over 200 years after Newton's death. Newton is famously an alumnus of Trinity College which is, of course where his papers were lodged after his death, including his personal annotated copy of Principia. Cambridge never sold them to anybody. Whateve Keele had it wasn't Newton's personal notebooks.

1. cwfullerton21043
      Thumb Up

Trinity college... How Ironic.

Newton was a famous alumnus of Trinity College.... How Ironic that when she searched the Scriptures himself, he found that the Bible doesn't teach the Trinity and thereafter refused to believe it.

I hope they post those documents as well!

7. ZagZee
    Boffin

Now for the FBI

to release Nikola Tesla's writings please.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's more than one

@GM: Compare http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/PR-ADV-B-00039-00001/ with http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=1019

So cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk really shouldn't say "Newton's own copy of the first edition" as that implies it's the only one. And Trinity's is of course still in decent nick.

9. A.A.Hamilton

'click of a mouse'

I tried clicking some of the old PS/2 mice I have lying around in a box - single click only mind you (have to follow instructions carefully in IT, eh?). Did I see any of Newtons papers? You must be joking.

I hate these exaggerated claims. ("...you <copulating> moron, even my grandmother can use Linux....)

1. Ru
      Facepalm

You've clearly clicked the wrong mouse

You <copulating> moron.

What on earth made you think that 'a' mouse referred specifically to the ones you had lying around? Try some others. You'll find the right one eventually.

1. Armando 123

Fieldmouse or dormouse? I can't tell from the specs ... which are probably mouse droppings. [brushes them into trash]

10. Tom 7

Cant find any reference to the apple

patent/copyright problem?

11. TeeCee Gold badge

Hmm.

Judging by the number of pages intentionally left blank, it's not Apple he has to worry about but IBM.....

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Of course he has to worry about Apple. Didn't you realise that Apple own the IP for gravity. They must do since they use it for the orientation stuff in the iPhone and nobody else is allowed to use that even though digital cameras (among other things) were using the technology before Apple had even thought of the iPhone.

If they can claim to own the abreviation App for application then they can claim to own absolutely anything.

12. Hardcastle the ancient

This is fantastic.

Just what the web is for, rather than selling things. I expect Berners-Lee is pleased too.

13. Armando 123
    Devil

Latin!

I kant reed latin! I want it lolspeek. Ngkh! #teenagericonneeded

Seriously, this is great news. And I hope I get some time over the holidays to look through this.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Latin to teenager convertor

I could really have done with one of those back in my youth.

Or even better, a Latin to Molesworth convertor would hav bin proper chiz, as any fule kno

15. Stevie

Bah!

Newton's notebooks are complete gibberish! Not a word readable!

Yet another so-called "scientist" turns out to be an inarticulate charlatan, and probably a foreigner to boot!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like