back to article God particle hunt breakthrough expected TODAY

Expect an update on modern science's understanding of the fabric of the universe this lunchtime: physicists working on the Large Hadron Collider will announce their latest findings at 1300 GMT. The boffins will reveal whether or not their results indicate the existence of the Higgs boson, the "god particle" that gives mass to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A historic moment...

I feel so privileged to be able to participate in the ongoing DDoS of the CERN webcast server, lol!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Seriously shit streaming performance

NFT

3. HP Cynic

1pm GMT: Dinner time then :)

1. AlgernonFlowers4

What do nuclear scientists eat for Dinner?

Amazing - who'd thunk it, that by colliding two large haddocks together they would end up finding the cod particle!

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"Dinner time"

That would be lunch-time then, peasant :P

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm a peasant too...

Did you have lunch-ladies at school then?

:-)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"Did you have lunch-ladies at school then?"

A fair point. Not sure I can explain that one really, except that maybe they were also peasants :D

4. ravenviz Silver badge
    Coat

Presentation

I'm glad they used Comic font in the slides, it makes the webcast easier to understand.

5. Toastan Buttar
    Stop

Aaaaaaargh!

Enough with this "God Particle" nonsense!

1. atomic jam

Wasn't it originaly called

the "God damned Particle".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pfff

Still using the "G" word in the heading - I though the Reg's mission was to wise people up, not dumb things down to tabloid levels.

1. Oninoshiko
      Joke

the mission is neither

It's to entertain me. All else is secondary.

Why yes, that IS a Total Perspective Vortex in my pocket.

7. Michael Hutchinson
    Joke

Come on, even BBC didn't resort to the G word... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16158374

8. Materialised
    WTF?

What is this God Particle Mumbo Jumbo?

We all know that St Lucas discovered it and it is called 'The Force'!!!

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

Oh boy here we go

> gives mass to other particles

That would be "gives some mass to some particles"

Anyway, more at http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=4262

"The announcement at CERN tomorrow of a likely-looking signal for a 125 GeV mass Standard Model Higgs will probably unleash a flood of hype from theorists claiming this as evidence for their favorite Beyond the Standard Model scenario. One obvious problem with any such claim is that the CERN results correspond well so far to the Standard Model with no additions whatsoever, so spinning them as providing support for things like supersymmetry and string theory will require some work.

For the last decade we have known that the Higgs mass is above 114 GeV (from LEP) and unlikely to be very much higher than that (from precision electroweak results). This summer’s LHC results disfavored masses above about 130 GeV, so for the last few months we’ve known that if the Standard Model Higgs is there, it should be between 114 and about 130 GeV. For a couple weeks news has been circulating widely from ATLAS and CMS that they are both seeing something around 125 GeV."

10. Materialised
    FAIL

"Higgins Boson surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." - doesn't have the same ring to it.

11. Tony Paulazzo
    Devil

@ Artiewhitefox

>We live in a pysiucal world like we see it because of our choice. Being physical we think in a physical way.<

Wrong. We think we live in a physical world because that's the signals the brain receives. It's actually a holographic fantasy and Jesus is called Akira and the lawn mower man pwns the internet.

Altho' Philip K Dick did postulate that the Romans were still running the show, the 20th century was just a shallow veneer over the real reality of the twelfth century, so <shrug>, who knows.

Would it be funny if they found Higgs Boson on the 25th December? - (He's alive and well and living in Windermere)

12. Spud2go
    Pint

Forget the Higgs Boson...

this theory poses a much more interesting line of enquiry -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIen0Pp7TQ

This topic is closed for new posts.