back to article Fake anti-virus victims in line for slice of $8m payout pie

US watchdogs plan to refund victims of scareware scams using seized assets from fake anti-virus peddler Innovative Marketing. More than 300,000 consumers, taken in by a scam that warned them they needed to purchase dodgy software to get rid of non-existent security threats, are in line to get a slice of $8 million forfeited by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lamont Cranston
    Joke

YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO RECEIVE AN FTC COMPENSATION PAYOUT

WORTH $$$$$$!!!!!

CLICK HERE!

1. Scott Broukell
      Stop

** Scam Warning **

In order to recompense you for loss of funds from the scam *above* - please click HERE to receive your free application pack from the FTC.

2. Anonymous IV
    Happy

History repeating itself?

I seem to remember a series of scam emails offering me £lots in recompense for previous scam emails...

3. Kevin Johnston
    Facepalm

Standby

for the flood of emails advising that you have won a share of the money recover from scareware scammers...just send your name and bank details to......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

does this include

those saps who installed Norton antivirum?

5. Term
    WTF?

Get Out of Jail Free

"The firm agreed surrender the ill-gotten gains to settle FTC (Federal Trade Commission) charges..."

So the $8 Million was a sort of 'Get Out of Jail Free' card was it?

No charges, no chance of a conviction...

6. This Side Up
    Devil

$20 recompense?

Hardly worth the bother. Those muppets should be fined $20 for being so stupid. I've been rung up twice at silly hours by clowns claiming to be from Microsoft, saying that my PC has "come up red" whatever that means. When I asked for a number on which I could call them back at a more sensible time they seemed to go quiet. Actually I haven't got a Windows PC but I didn't let on.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Bully for you

You think people should be fined "$20 for being so stupid"? Bear in mind that not everyone is a technically savvy as you. A lot of people can barely send email, and all they know about the web is that they click something and the computer displays a page.

So, when these companies come along and say that they are calling from Microsoft/your ISP/Norton/McAfee etc, the poor schmuck may just assume that Microsoft/Your ISP/Norton/McAfee etc are trying to be just that little bit more helpful.

It actually doesn't help the situation that under certain circumstances, some ISPs (VM certainly do this, I use to know someone who did this as a job) will phone their users to say that unusual traffic has been detected on their connection, and they may have a virus.

You know that Microsoft and the Antivirus companies don't do that. I know the same. How is someone who's just bought their first PC from PCworld, and only plugged it in a few weeks ago going to know that?

Fining people for not having the experience to know about this scam would not help. Anymore than fining forum users for stupid posts.

7. ZenCoder
    FAIL

Criminal Charges?

WTF? Where are the criminal charges?

8. Allan George Dyer
    Devil

Good Day

Although you might be apprehensive about my email as we have not met

before, I am Mr Evans Green,I am a Banker i work with Bank Of

England,There is the sum of $20,600,000.00 in my Bank "Bank Of England" London, There were no beneficiaries stated concerning these funds which means no one would ever come forward to claim it because they were seized from Colonel Gadaffi-Huessein by my good friend, Sgt. Richard Yankie of the US Marrines in the form of uncashed cheque refunds from the FTC for fake anti-virus. Unfortunately Sgt. Yankie is the widow of the late Mrs. Olagbinga Asheru, Foreign Minister of Somalia who will shortly die in a tragic plane crash. As you share a name with the cheque payees that is why I ask that we work together so as to have the sum transfer out of my Bank into your Bank Account or any other account of your choice. I will be pleased to see if you can help me and also be a good and trusted person. Once the funds have been transferred to your Nominated Bank Account wish all then share in the ratio of 60% for me, 40% for you. do send me a mail as soon as possible for more details here is my email address:

9. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Hello?

Why are people not going to JAIL?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like