back to article Brazil, China trample UK in virtualization gold rush

Mexico, China and other rising economies are quicker at employing new technologies than the UK, meaning that Britain is lagging behind in the shift to server virtualisation, according to a survey by Dell and Intel. "The virtualisation rates are lowest where there are the highest legacy systems," said Bryan Jones, director of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Lost in Translation?

82 per cent of Mexican workers said they felt free to download whatever software they needed at work, while only 37 per cent of UK workers felt that to be case. There was an attitude difference, too, according to the report:

Translation

Mexican workers were not worried about the company they work for being sued into oblivion by the like of MS/BSA/MPAA etc. They are also not worried about importing loads of malware onto the companies network. They are also not worried about breaking the terms of their contract and getting fired.

Sigh.

2. petur
    WTF?

82 per cent of Mexican workers said they felt free to download whatever software they needed at work

Is that referring to illegal copies, higher chances of suffering from malware, or both?

3. Doogie Howser MD
    Headmaster

Apples vs Oranges?

I'm not sure there's too much to be learned from this report, after all, how we do biz in the UK is markedly different than how we do it than the Germans say (and I'm not getting political on your ass here) and certainly the BRIC countries. Maybe we don't virtualise as much, but of all the customers I see with "legacy" systems, they work, they're cost effective and they're reliable. In this economy, you'll need a better reason to "innovate" when systems are already good enough.

As regards Mexicans downloading all sorts, might this be because they take a slightly more ahem..."relaxed" view on licencing? Never been to or worked in Mexico, but I doubt with all their internal strife (kidnappings, gangs and drug culture) that much of the national budget is spent on software licencing compliance, a la FAST.

Move on, nothing to see here...

4. Andy 70
    Holmes

woops, sorry, throught from the headline it was something worth reading.

here, let me summerize that for you.

I.T. Survey = bollox.

also, see

Bears deficate = woods

pope = catholic

not being funny, but since when is a completely free and open internet connection, and admin rights given to Jo Public at work?

of course you can't install <what the fuck i like>. we have enough trouble with the authorised applications like salesfarce, or crackberry desktop mangler, without people having access to fuckwitbook or the like.

not to mention crybaby management types who throw their toys out the pram so that they must have ichoons installed for their brand new dickpads.

i suspect that developing nations might have a slightly more relaxed idea of installing flash games to pass the time in the call centres. maybe even a bit of titborrent action to bang out knocked off copies of unlicensed software.

just sayin' is all.

1. BlueGreen

"...is a completely free and open internet connection, and admin rights given to Jo Public at work?"

heh. In a small company, always. IME *always*.

Am trying to get thems at work to tighten up but while they understand why it's important at some rarefied intellectual level, as they've never been hit hard they don't feel it gut level. Yet our hackable IP is pretty well everything we have to sell. It's uphill all the way.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying.

(erm. More pics please. Thanks).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I Don't beleive it

Every major company I have worked for in the UK, certainly in the last 5 years is eagerly implementing or already has virtualisation for most of it's servers, and certainly all test servers I have used recently

I suspect Dell and Intel want to wring a few more sales out of the hold-outs, and Luddites out there by trying to shame them

6. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

bummer

I came here expecting to see lucious female bums in bikinis, like the picture promised. Instead all I got was IT scuttlebutt. Shame.

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Happy

I'm glad You said it!

Will remember to stop by the beach on my way out. The best part of working in Rio de Janeiro at summer time! :D

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, for one, welcome our brazilian bikini clad, sand encrusted, volleyball playing overlords.

Nice picture (ary chance of hires version for research purposes)

AC because research is of a very delicate nature

8. Yag
    Trollface

I would trample that...

please don't shoot, please don't shoot, please don't shoot!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, for one

@AC 16:41:

I, for one, have already welcomed our Brazilian, bikini-clad, sand-encrusted, volleyball-playing overladies.

Didn't you recognise my hands in the photo?

10. wingZero

Bullshit

Sorry but I cant really see it, not saying were number 1 for it but a lot of places like was mentioned earlier are using virtualisation or on the way to implementing it...

Know a couple that are going into hybrid clouds with public and private as well? Is mexico doing this???? Surely not if they are downloading all their malware..

Weird article right here for shame gister for shame..

wingZero

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheez

The entire marketing environment for virt and cloud has become a shamesphere. Never mind it may not be a good thing for some companies to operate as a cloud/internet open market bizarre.

If you don't use our X, you're not really green.

If you don't use our X, you're not really agile.

If you don't use our X, you're not saving money.

If you don't use our Y, well, even mexico is ahead of you. And you wouldn't want THAT, would you ?! Buy our shit and at least get equal with _________ ( insert latest marketing blitz shame country here).

I find it fascinating that around 30% of companies that have implemented virtualization see no positive ROI. Why is that? Seriously. Why is that? Virtualization is a foolproof cost-saving, compute panacea, right?. But no, when it comes to virtualization, those companies that lose money on virt are NEVER talked about. There is no conference that focuses on what happens when you lose all your applications in an automated, cascading virtualization outage from your wonderful, fragile, brittle brand spanking new virtualization environment that won't come back up. When the CEO asks where all the money went for new hardware, software, training, consulting, people and facilities and then 12 apps go down at once instead of 1 like before the modern miracle of virtualization, you can now say, " Hey, this is how they operate in Mexico and Brazil so we know it must be a good thing." Vendors wouldn't lie or manipulate us just to get our money, would they? Gosh .....

12. BoldMan

Nice photo... article? If could be bothered I'd read it...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like