back to article Call of Duty is hottest selling entertainment product ever

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has exploded past James Cameron's 3D blockbuster, Avatar, to became the fastest entertainment offering of any kind to achieve $1bn in sales. The game arrived at the milestone 16 days after its release on 8 November - one day less than Avatar took on its release in 2009. Modern Warfare 3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4
    IT Angle

Huh.

If it's the best selling video game of all time ever ZOMG, why is it none of my large group of Teemspeak associates will touch the thing with a 10ft pole?

1. That Awful Puppy
      Trollface

Because it's played mostly by people who have normal lives, rather than by basement dwellers?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because you're a bunch of hipster douchebags who are looking for the newest underground indie game that you can abandon when it catches on?

3. miknik
      Thumb Down

Ask me another

The clue to that one is in the word "Teemspeak"

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Teemspeak? That's what old people who use PC's to game with use isn't it?

2. LarsG

PLAYED BY 10 YEAR OLDS....

whose parents should know better.

3. Gil Grissum

DEATH MATCH WINNER

I guess we know who won this death match then. So much for the competitor. I haven't played any of the call of duty titles online in multiplayer yet, but I can honestly say that Badcompany 2 was the most annoying single player game I've ever played and playing it online wasn't very inspiring. The Single Player of MW2 was a blast in single player, so I'll definitly put MW3 on my list.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"while the price of 3D cinema tickets are by no means cheap, they're certainly lower than the retail cost of each MW3 disc..."

Well, that's not really a fair comparison.

CoD will give many gamers 100+ hours of play time, whereas, if memory serves, Avatar lasted only 8 or 9 hours.

1. Thomas 4
      Facepalm

Seemed to go on for a hell of a lot longer to me.

2. thefutureboy
      Thumb Up

I see what you did there!

Very good! :-)

5. Ryan 7

Surprising

That they didn't go with "NY, London, Paris, and Berlin" - seeing as Madrid has as many people as Berlin does, and those 4 cities are the game's locations.

1. dogged

I was thinking "London, New York, Paris, Munich, everybody talk about - "

No?

Nevermind then.

6. Neal 5

talking about the price of MW3

you can download it for free at some of those low rent piracy/torrent sites that absolutely none of us would ever dream of using, but the ElReg keeps our mind focused on by continually reporting about.

7. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

I don't see why

It's just yet another generic grey-brown faceshooter.

Yawn. Pass.

8. GrumpyJoe

Could this just be

because it's fun? I have my moments of frustration, and yes, it IS a bit samey, but it is FUN. I thought that was the idea? Didn't realise I had to moralise over every pixel.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm afraid I will have to report all of you who are playing it to the Red Cross for Virtual Human Rights abuses.

('cause I'm bitter about the fact that my computer hasn't got the specs to handle it, and I can't afford a new one right now)

10. J-Wick
    Meh

It's fun, though rather frustrating at times... I don't know about you lot but I seem to be consistently matched up with players who are twice my rank - I'm ~ 35, everyone else is over 60. Then I get my ass handed to me.

I mean, I would get stomped on anyway, but the stomping seems a little cruel & unusual....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like