back to article EU stalls Googorola anti-competition probe

The EU has temporarily suspended its probe into Google's planned buyout of Motorola Mobility because it wants more information, including comments from Google's competitors. The antitrust authority has been reviewing Google's merger with Motorola Mobility for breaches of European competition law. The EU Competition Commission …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Could they stop it?

I mean the EU comission stoping a US company buying another US company?

I think not....

1. Ragarath

If they think that the new googorola will be anti-competitive for the European masses they will slap the ban-hammer on them.

These may be US companies but they trade in the EU. If they want to play here they have to abide by the rules here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Barry

We know you love everything Google, but just think a bit: The EU is the largest (or 2nd largest) economy in the world (if considered as a single entity). If the EU says that Google is anti-competitive and can't trade here, then they're seriously out of pocket in a shareholders-sacking-the-board kind of a way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really don't see...

...why the bloody EU is getting involved. both companies involved are US companies; granted, they have offices in Europe, but they're American businesses. Just as we don't want the Yanks telling us to not do something or other, I'm sure the opposite is true as well. And interested parties? read Apple for that one, another Yank firm.

The EU was a reasonable idea when it was just the EEC, but now? It's a ruddy monster with delusions of adequacy.

I'm with UKIP - get out NOW.we actually may save some bloody money in the long run.

1. Paul 25

The US can do the same to EU companies

If two european companies that operate in the US want to merge the US competition authorities would be able to stop the deal just as the EU can do in this case.

If the companies don't want to be covered by european competition law then they can not operate in the EU, same goes for the US.

2. Pete Spicer

Because if they think Google + Motorola will stifle competition here in the EU, they'll stop it. The whole point is so that everyone else has a viable chance at making products here and so that consumers have more choice and aren't at quite so much risk of having huge corporations that rule everything.

Imagine if Google + Motorola is anti-competitive here, you'll find that the cheapest phones are Google + Motorola and if you want anything else, it'll be *much* more expensive because they will be able to push others out the market.

I'd point out that whether the UK stays in the EU or leaves it wouldn't make any difference, and however many years ago when it was the EEC, it would be EXACTLY THE SAME.

Do you really think it's a good idea to allow big American corporations to run riot over the top of local firms? Because that's what you're encouraging.

3. samster
      WTF?

Dear Anonymous Coward (or should that be Little Englander? ;-) I don't think you understand Commercial/Trade Law. A British company in the US has to abide by US regulation. That is proper and correct. The reverse is true. Both companies have large presences in Europe and there could be competition implications here.

I hope the deal goes through actually...

I don't think this is the place to discuss off-topic stuff but please do remember to turn the lights off if you're the last one leaving our 'glorius' former empire....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And interested parties?"

Well the whole EU phone buying public certainly? Plus, surely you've heard of Nokia? An EU company, for now at least.

Not sure why exactly you're against the EU defending it's interests?

The US already does the same like when they intervened in the BASF (German) - Ciba (Swiss) merger in 2008.

I'm sure you can find other examples, since the US actually jumpstarted modern antitrust regulation with the Sherman Act in 1890. To just stand by and do nothing in Europe would be a idiocy.

3. Pax681

oh dear....

they do have companies based here. motorola UK and also in other companies in other counbtries..

they are registered in each country as a seperate entity under the umbrella of the motorola mobility US.

this means basically that if motorola Uk goes tits up for some reason then it's a self contained subsidiary that won't frag the other bits

4. zanto

that be damn fine weed

whatever those bozos are smoking, pass some of it over.

protecting android is just what is needeed to maintain competition, now that nokia has bent over to be shafted by ballmer, and rim execs have shown who's incharge at crackberry inc.

unless of course someone in the eu has been "indoctrinated" with large amounts of fruity goodness.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like