back to article How can I get better browsing with a smartphone?

Most, if not all, smartphones fall short on the web browsing experience as they cannot display minimum 800-pixel-wide pages. How can I improve that experience and still use a compact, pocket-friendly phone that's good for phone calls? I'd like to make a quick check of emails and do short replies using the phone. But for more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Skinner

N800 paired with 6120 HSDPA

I have an N800 paired via Btooth with a Nokia 6120 classic on 3 network.

Fast 3.5 G connection in most locations and very easy to setup.

I can also use phone as a modem with my laptop with the Nokia software.

(You arent actually supposed to use the 6120 as a modem but 3 do not seem to be able to check what you are using it for so yah boo sucks to them.)

Call plan and free data is about £ 25 / month and phone was free.

New OS2008 on N800 is now much faster / more stable (and comes as standard on N810).

I use for web browsing in front of telly and checking gmail.

Screen has good resolution but is a little small for extended use.

I take it when I travel and it is just about useable for business emails and keeping in touch but lack of keyboard is a killer (not an issue on N810).

Battery life is also woeful when using HSDPA on 6120. Make sure you pack a charger.

Asus eee seems such good value and it may be a more usaable option although not pocket sized.

No btooth though so make sure you can connect a phone by wire (6120 needs Nokias software to run - not sure if Linux version?)

Personally I would wait to see if they release a larger screen version in the coming months.

Hope this helps.

2. Scott Mckenzie

Obvious one..

...the iPhone is incredible for web browsing and is a good phone, not cheap as i'm sure you're aware but there is no better mobile browsing experience.

Failing that, a decent 3G phone, be it a smartphone if you like, that can be attached to a PC as a modem - as suggested above.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eeepc + 3 dongle

Don't let 3 or CPW tell you it won't work, it works fine, as long as you are in a reception area, and is very easy to set up.

4. Walter McCann
    Happy

Easy

I have a Panasonic G900 (800*480 screen) 3G and works great, love the phone.... (most issues have been resolved)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like