back to article Hackers jimmy Android Marketplace onto PlayBooks

Hackers have managed to get Google's Android Marketplace running on the RIM PlayBook, potentially bypassing RIM's App Planet though the mod is far from mainstream. The hack follows the successful rooting of the PlayBook, but isn't for the fainthearted. The process involves installing a beta version of the OS formerly known as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. crowley

emulation?

Surely Dalvik just needs it's backend swapping for QNX calls instead of Linux ones?

Anyway, I rather hope RIM do manage to pull this one off.

I've wanted QNX to be a mainstream OS option ever since they did that floppy demo on the cover of PCPro or whatever, where you booted it up, configured your modem, and had a full windowing system plus web browser that ran like lightning and used bugger all memory.

Shame their strategy sucks for everyone without a blackberry, or who might not want one forever...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That sounds like a great idea, almost, but not quite as good as just buying and Android device in the first place.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I'm not a lawyer,

but this sounds illegal twice - given neither of the companies wants their stuff brought together, as far as I know.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

... get our hands dirty with a bit of SSH

... or not actually buy the doomed playbook in the first instance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like