back to article NASA slammed for losing hundreds of moon rocks

Butter-fingered admin work at NASA HQ has meant that hundreds of moon rocks, meteorites and cosmic dust samples have gone missing since the 1980s. A 4bn year old meteorite, currently still in NASA's possession, credit NASA A 4bn year old meteorite, currently still in NASA's possession Poor back-office work was blamed for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Carriere

So...over the course of 40 years, they lose 2% of samples and the recommendation is to spend large amounts of money on additional procedures? I suspect it will be significantly cheaper to ensure we return to the Moon somewhere in the next 1,000 years and replenish (1,000 years would see 50% loss at current rates).

1. AndrueC Silver badge

You're running out of something you mined. Do you:

a)Go and mine some more.

b)Impose restrictions on those wishing to use it for the purpose intended.

I suppose we can argue that this is a museum charged with protecting it's exhibits and NASA could do both things. Sadly I suspect it won't and will just opt for (b).

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Actually it's even better than that. The total covers everything, not just moon bits, so we've probably got longer than 1,000 years before needing to go back for more.

The other stuff is easily replenished by going out and picking it up off whatever and whereever it fell onto.

2. YarrPirate!
    Boffin

We all know where they went...

Aperture science had to get tons of moon dust for their portal support medium.

3. Gordan
    Joke

Disappeared?

Hardly. They just transformed into little brain-slug spiders and scuttled away to take over the world. :)

4. Jimbo 6

"a scientist kept a moon rock for 35 years without ever doing any research on it"

He should have just submitted a paper on "The efficacy of lunar rocks in preventing the unwanted dispersion of piles of paper left next to desktop fans"

5. NomNomNom

HOW CAN THEY BE MISSING WHEN WE DIDNT EVEN GO THERE?????

NICE TRY NASA

1. Philip Lewis
      FAIL

Really?

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=18690&media_id=109530371

1. NomNomNom

The INTERNET was created by the government....so you offer me "proof" from the internet? See the problem with that?

2. Wayland Sothcott 1

Google Car

They should send Google to get the pictures, they would be a lot better.

6. perlcat
    Big Brother

Well,

They can always send the SWAT team after 74 old women in restaurants -- seems like a good idea, doesn't it?

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20111024/moon-dust-souvenir-joann-davis-nasa-disagreement-111024/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

If they need new dust.....

They can have some of the bunnies under my bed!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like