back to article Kindle Fire to consume half of Android tablet biz

Amazon's Kindle Fire will account for half of the Android tablets bought in 2012. So says Robert Cihra, an analyst at US financial services company Evercore Partners. He didn't indicate whether that's a global or US only figure - the Fire is, for now, only available in the States - but presumably the latter. Cihra attributes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

MS Should Worry

A lot.

1. Daleos

Why?

Well I'm still holding out for Win8 to come out before I make my decision.

I want a 'productivity' tablet, something to go alongside my desktop, something that will run the same apps as my desktop or at least the same file formats. Neither iOS or Android can do that.

Now whether MS can come up with something good enough to do real work on is another matter.

I'm getting the horrible feeling they're going to try and crash the 'consumption' tablet market without putting enough effort into the 'production' tablet market. If that is the case then you very well may be right.

Despite that. I'm still a little bit confused as why many people seem to think ubiquity is equivalent to the best (or at least the most appropriate). Many companies still make a shed load of money by dealing in niche products. MS should aim squarely at the business user/professional and forget about the mainstream.

I have to admit I'm not all that keen with all this rush to make the simplest product possible. A lot of these tablet/cloud apps have 1/10 of the functionality and take 10 times as long to run. Again, MS could mop up the little sector if they played their cards right.

There's already a little bit of a backlash against Apple for dumbing down OS-X Lion and some of it's applications (Final Cut) so I can't be the only one who prefers fast, fully featured applications. Maybe, these types of program won't be the mainstream purchases anymore but I'd certainly rather pay for something good than have something average at the expense of my privacy.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but isn't Android on the Fire

purely an implementation detail - i.e. it's the Amazon bit rather than the Android bit that is the key differentiator.

oh dear

1. sabroni Silver badge

Price is the key differentiator, that's why hp touchpads became so popular. The fact that Amazon is a trusted brand won't hurt sales, but htc, motorola and blackberry are also trusted brands that have failed so far in tablets, as far as sales go....

2. James Micallef Silver badge

Amazon is the differentiator only in so far as Amazon is selling the things at cost price to flog e-books, which is where they make their money. The real difference is cost. Bottom line, if a punter has to choose between an iPad and an not-iPad, the not-iPad has to be minimum hundred quid less costly to get the sale.

Curious, since HTC, Samsung etc seem to have no problem selling Android phones at a similair spec and price-range as the iPhone

4. tmTM

Maybe not?

It is a current gen tablet at a very decent price. Next year it will be a generation behind, and it's only 7 inch.

Other manufacturers will have alot more to offer with their new tablets, it's anyone's game.

Price looks to be the best weapon to win this war.

1. Anonymous John

Only 7 inches?

It seems to me to be a more useful size than 10 inches, which is in netbook territory. I bought a Kobo .Vox two weeks ago. I find it better than my smartphone for email and browsing, and still small enough to go in my coat pocket (this time of year at least).

And W H Smith seem to be shifting them. My local branch had sold out today, and they now cost £189.99 as against £169.99 at launch.

5. Joe K
    Facepalm

Yawn

An analyst has said something about Apple?

Time for another belter of a RegHardware story.

I await the next one with baited breath.

1. Arthur Jackson
      1. John Bailey

No.. He actually does have a worm in his mouth

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay...

Another analyst that nobody has heard of, saying things because he has a report that Amazon want everyone to read....

Do people really believe this tripe? Anyone know who "Robert Cihra" actually is? What makes him an expert in this field any more than the very knowledgeable Barry Shitpeas?

7. a_been
    Meh

The problem with the other tables is that they were expensive and crap, fanbois may cry but who the fuck wants a 7" tablet apart from people who bought Dragons and Orics in the 80's and justified it on a tech reason that no one else gave a shit about. Amazon has fixed half the problem and will take the low end, Apple we will have to see. If Apple come in with a $379, which i think is the sweet spot for mid-range, iPad 2 when they bring the iPad 2HD then it's game over. A two horse race with Google out of it and MS pissing in the wind.

I'd like to think B&N have a chance as there is a lot of good in their tablet but Google have shown they have more money than sense and Apple it seems are intent to show you can have more money than Sin. Also 7" is for the fanbois and niche markets. This game is over, killed by Amazon using Google and i have to admire their balls.

I also expect that on the Fire 2 Google will have a deal with Amazon. There competitor was never Apple always MS and now Face book.

8. P. Lee
    Linux

Hmm

Not sure I believe the 50% thing. 10" screen is about the minimum to display A4 on and makes a reasonable browsing space for touch devices. A 10" pad != 10" netbook. Netbooks are still a bit hobbled by wanting to be a pc though perhaps this will change with Gnome3 and Metro. Perhaps the distinction will be blurred further as ARM chips gain more power. Hopefully, the Android folks can bring more nice productivity apps to android as performance allows.

However, itunes as an easy-payment platform certainly drives ease of use on ip*ds. I can see amazon being more interested in easy purchasing than google appears to be. Amazon has a larger inventory than apple and could easily do media - indeed does already do media for the "want to own rather than stream" crowd.

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A generation behind

Yes - because so many web sites are Android 3.0 only

10. PAW

Barry Shitpeas ?

It seems to be an accepted assumption that Amazon is selling the Fire at or below cost. Then along comes a company (Ainovo) shipping a decent looking 7" Android 4 (dual camera, 1080p, capacitive screen) for $100 less. Sold out the first day. If it's mostly about price, then it's too early to call the game.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like