back to article LCD monitor biz squeezed at both ends

The LCD monitor industry could be set for a bumpy ride in the year ahead with a forecast shortage of panels expected to cut deep into the second quarter of 2008. According to a number of reports, makers have slowed down capacity expansion for fifth-generation (5G) and 6G plants as they set their sights on building capacity at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Scorah

I hope...

this doesn't mean more delays on my already delayed new monitor. I ordered i in November and on the day it was due to arrive I got a message saying It wouldn't arrive until a month later. I can't keep using my crappy old CRT as an emergency monitor for much longer.

2. MondoMan
    Thumb Down

Bad news for buyers

This may explain the seeming increase in the number of notebook/flat panel displays with one or more single-pixel defects -- manufacturers are likely dropping quality standards in order to boost supply.

3. Pierre

CRT rules

Come on guys, when you have to deal with advanced image analysis, nothing beats a good old CRT monitor. Plus, it's WAAYYY funnier when it accidentally hits your supervisor brand new sportoy set of wheels. From 10th floor.

4. Chris C

Let's get quality monitors first

Before we worry about quantity, can we please worry about the quality of the monitors being produced? The last time I checked, LCD monitors were still pathetic compared to CRT in terms of resolution, and widescreen monitors have made this even more clear. My KDS 19" CRT can go up to 1600x1200, and yes, that's the resolution I used with it. Since I "upgraded" to a Samsung 19" LCD, I'm limited to 1280x1024. 1440x900 ("WXGA+") now seems to be the standard for widescreen, and 1280x1024 still seems to be the standard for non-widescreen. Even 22" monitors only go up to 1680x1050 ("WSXGA+"). Throw that on top of the problem of dead pixels (either always-on or always-off), both from delivery and introduced over time, and it doesn't look good for quality.

5. unitron

Lemme see if I've got this right...

They're responding to increasing demand by cutting back on production?

Why that practically qualifies them to run one of the Big 3 US automakers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got problems with 19 or 22? Get a 24

I bought a 24" Viewsonic that goes to 1900x1200 the only useable resolution on my laptop. It's lovely. And it wasnt even with my money...

7. Iain

@Mark

What monitor have you been waiting so long for? I ordered an LG 20" Widescreen in the Play.com sale around yesterday lunchtime, and it turned up before work this morning. From Play, who normally take at least a week to get a mere DVD to me. I was astonished, frankly.

8. Sam Therapy
    Thumb Up

@ Chris C & Pierre

Absolutely right in both cases. CRT all the way..

9. Fred McCoy
    Stop

If they want to reduce demand...

Increase the price. Dumbass...

FYI, I speak of Stand-alone LCD monitors, not notebook screens.

Here in the states we can run up to Walmart or Target or some other national retailer and get one for about 150 bucks. Probably cheaper on the net. But, since they are so in demand, retailers try to get them as cheap as possible, so they can sell them easier, which means more demand for them because more consumers will be able to get them. The solution is painfully obvious, raise the price dramatically. If I can get one for 150.00, that's not a major issue, But when its 350.00 then I will put it off a bit, and if I put it off a bit, that means I have less of a demand for it.

But, the reason WHY they can't raise the price is because they are so crappy anyhow. I mean, there is nothing wrong with the screens, but manufacturers are forgetting that they are selling to mom and dad now, not just corporations. Mom and dad have kids, and with kids come fingers, and with kids fingers comes crayons and pencils and pens and anything of that nature that can pressure-damage the lcd. LCD is nice, but it should be encased in a sturdy frame and covered with glass to increase its longevity. People get spoiled on lcds, and have to go replace one about once a year because of kids/pets/accidents, and the screen manufacturers cant afford to keep up, because the materials and production process are still costly, even though the end product is cheap.

Still, slowing production is stupid, unless you are out of materials...

If you raise the price, ppl will BUY crt instead, OR, they will make due until production can keep up, Then, once production is met or exceeded, cut the prices back down. Raising the price makes an item less common, and the less common it is, the less in demand it is. Think of it like food. If you're like me, you're on a bit of a budget. You don't eat food to impress anyone, you just want to be fed. You walk up to the counter and you see "Cheeseburger 0.90, Filet Mignon 1.00" Which would you order? Well, if you want beef and cheese, then pass on the filet mignon, but, if you can have high quality food at only a few pennies more, you'd GO for that, wouldn't you? NOW, however, if you saw this: "Cheeseburger 0.90. Filet Mignon 9.52" then you would more likely think to yourself "I think I'll go with the cheeseburger, I'm not THAT hungry". It's the same way with the monitors. CRT's are cheeseburgers and LCD's are Filet Mignon. The masses are demanding the good stuff for the cost of the common stuff, and retailers are breaking people all over the world in order to comply with that request, and it is an unreasonable one. Next thing you know, people will want BMW's for the cost of Yugo's.

Raise the price, lower the demand, catch up on production, and if you can, have a sale once a year. That should balance it out nicely.

This topic is closed for new posts.