back to article Silverlit Spy Cam

Never mind all my boasting about training for a helicopter pilot licence to help me survive the zombie apocalypse, it's been a long time since I had a go at flying anything. Looking back, that was a mistake because this Spy Cam 'copter is fun, fun, fun. I was really impressed at how simple this toy chopper is to set up and use …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimC
    Unhappy

Could be the beginning of the end of

sunbathing nude in your own garden...

1. Tom 7

Could be the beginning of the end of

snooping - anyone catches me sunbathing nude they'll tear their own eyes out!

2. Cowardly Animosity

Good to see this review, just bought one for £40 at John Lewis and I'm looking forward to 'helping' my son play with it this Christmas...!

3. Shane8
    Thumb Up

What i want to know is....

Who is the blonde :-)

1. Andrew Woodvine

I just knew at least one person would ask that question!

2. Jim 59

Lady

Forget it sonny, she likes only helicopter pilots.

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Followe the link...

...found this: http://silverlit.com/toy/power-in-air-special-projects-84514-ir-heli-blaster-3ch-1

Take crappy pics of your targets or fire missiles at them? That's a hard choice.....

5. JDX Gold badge

Controllability?

I had a cheap RC helicopter a while ago and was massively disappointed that it basically seemed to just go up and down. At what price point do you move from a gimmick, to something you can actually learn to fly - and any recommendations?

1. James Hughes 1

@jdx

Look for at three three channel control. Even the tiny ones now come in contra rotating versions which are a lot more controllable. Bigger copters are about £150 and up for something with 4 channels that works.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Video quality

"I think the makers could have increased the quality of the video camera. After all, I have a better one on my phone!"

Did your phone cost less than £60? And does it fly?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try this at home

I have a larger heli and just tapped a cheap micro cam to the shell so I could video the top of my house rather than going up on a scarily long ladder. Had same problem of blurred images from the shaking of the heli, but not too bad. £150 heli + £16 camera.

Have quite a few crash vids as well!

8. Alan Edwards
    FAIL

Blurring

Blurring from the vibration seems to be a common issue. The Gadget Show taped a GoPro Hero to a big-ish RC helicopter, IIRC. The video was unusable, it was blurry and shaking around, plus they nearly lost the camera when the heli crashed.

You might be able to rescue it a bit if you put the vdeo through the stabiliser in iMovie or Sony Vegas Studio.

The cameras on police helicopters are mounted in a vibration-isolating mount, which is a huge dome on the side. You could rig a gimbal mount for an RC copter, but it would be too heavy for it to lift.

1. miknik

A good mikrokoptor will lift 2kg

These are easier to fly and are plenty stable enough to give professional quality video footage, check out youtube for a plethora of amazing videos. You don't get many of them for £60 though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you think that's cool, search online for 808 key cameras and prepare to be amazed how cheap and small they are, and now even 720p HD as well! Basically, just assume you might be being recorded at any time or place.

10. Anonymous Coward 15

Needs more

frickin' lasers.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Emo
    Thumb Up

'Live long and prosper' is what the girl on the left is saying ;p

13. Greg J Preece

Is that chick on the left giving a Vulcan salute?

14. P. Lee

much more expensive but still cool...

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/uk/

15. Daniel Hill
    Go

Even cheaper

John Lewis has reduced the price down to £25!

http://www.johnlewis.com/231252211/Product.aspx

This topic is closed for new posts.