back to article Verizon denies blocking competitive Google Wallet

Verizon Wireless has denied blocking its users from Google’s Wallet system, but has admitted that that its customers won’t be able to use the payment application anytime soon. In a statement to The Register, Verizon stated categorically that the company does not block applications. However, in a line of thinking that seems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sean 10
    WTF?

Don't block applications?

Right, and you didn't kill those mysteriously missing tethering applications either, did you Big Red? Wait, is that ketchup on your palms..?

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Devil

Doesn't work on T-Mobile either

Wallet? What Wallet? According to Google it only works on Sprint phones, not on a Nexus on either AT&T or T-Mobile networks.

Let's face it - in the USA any mobile technology is going to be 10 years behind the rest of the world because it's not in the networks interest to stay up to date and they don't give a damn about their customers since they hobble them to contracts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10 years behind

So if we're 10 years behind, then Blighty must be laughing at poor saps stuck with LTE Advanced!

3. Eddy Ito

The operators need to be knocked down to bit pipes, nothing more. Unfortunately it seems the masses like their crappy services bundled together because one bill is so much less complicated than multiple bills. Heck, the infrastructure might improve if the operators actually focused on taking care of the pipes instead of devising ever more crappy add-ons and blocking competing services. It would be swell to have access within a single digit multiple of the advertised "up to" rate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

from the masses

We masses bundle our services because we get discounts and we like money ...

Paris, because she's rolling in it ...

5. Lance 3

“Google Wallet does not simply access the operating system and basic hardware of our phones like thousands of other applications. Instead, in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones.”

"Our" phones. There you have it, if you have Verizon and the screen is broke, take it back and demand that they fix their phone.

1. cjp39
      Stop

"Take it back and demand that they fix their phone."

Careful. If you're admitting it's _their_ phone, you're admitting you broke _their_ property -- they can merrily charge you for a new phone, charge you extra for their inconvenience, and possibly have you arrested for criminal damage.

6. Fred M

You can get it on there if you want it

The phone in question that it's missing from is the Galaxy Nexus, so it shouldn't be that hard to get it on there if you really want it.

It can be installed on the UK version... errr... apparently... so I've heard. Attaching a UK card or topping up the Google pre-paid one from the UK more of a problem though.

7. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Devil

Google Wallet is bad news

I was using Google Wallet until I had a problem. I went to Google's website to contact a human being (ha ha ha). There is no phone number. There is no email. There is a heavy java form submission which will pass on your concern directly to the merchant. There is no way to contact Google about a problem with my credit card. All of Google's emails come from noreply. Email to support is bounced back as no such user. Yet, I was giving them all my banking information.

I deleted all my banking information from Google Wallet. I hope they go belly-up. This is what Verizon means when they say they want to provide a good customer experience.

Google - if you want to play with my money, you have to provide a phone number to call when I have problems. I am weary of talking to a machine.

1. cjp39

"There is no way to contact Google..."

Did the following not work?

http://www.google.com/support/wallet/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=wallet

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I found that clicking on a Google wallet link,

is not unlike clicking on pr0n link in a tgp site - you never know what you are going to get, but it likely won't have anything to do with what you THOUGHT you were clicking on.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Open

Galaxy Nexus runs on the same Verizon network that Google fought to keep open. But now Google isn't allowing customers to use an application.

At least Android is open and they’re blocking it in an open way, not a closed one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google refused to pay a percentage

Who can blame them?

1. The First Dave
      Pirate

To be honest, given Google's current position, I really don't think they are the best choice out there for an alternative payment system, particularly if they are going to do a PayPal, and claim that they are not a financial institution and therefore don't need to pay any attention to the FSA etc.

10. Atonnis
    Megaphone

Translation

'We have yet to screw a deal out of Google in order to get a percentage of every sale/purchase made through any device we have thoroughly shat-on with our 'custom' ROMs'.

I wouldn't use Google wallet anyway, but I'm well aware of the shitty devices Verizon/Vodafone pump out and then refuse to support if you decide to install the proper firmware for your device.

11. Gordon Henderson
    WTF?

I don't get it...

Do people still buy phones off carriers? I stopped doing that years ago. All I buy off a carrier is call minutes and txt/data. They have no control over my unbranded phone at all...

1. Al Jones
      FAIL

Good luck trying that here in the US.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Well..

Why should only Google get a comission from transactions made between *your* phone and the bank? They shouldn't even be involved.

No wonder everyone else wants a cut too!

Imagine chip makers for chip&pin cards demading a comission on sales, it's ridiculous.

13. Tom 13

Doesn't matter to me, I tried Google Wallet once.

I tried to purchase three or four different things using it, never got merchandise, and never got money back. So I just quit using it and won't touch it anymore. I regard it as more of a rip-off than PayPal was when E-Bay was worth browsing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like