back to article Acer releases second-gen Android tablet

Acer has taken the wraps off its next-gen Android tablet, the 10.1in Iconia Tab A200, oddly numbered successor to the Iconia Tab A500. Announced in Taiwan today, the A200 will initially come with Android 3.2 Honeycomb pre-installed, but will gain Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in January 2012, Acer promised. Acer Iconia Tab …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

Non standard GUI is a turn off

If Acer are slapping a layer on top of Android that increases the time between a new Android version and the time Acer actually supports it. It also decreases the frequency and liklihood they'll bother releasing updates at all.

I hope for Acer's sake the device is rootable for peace of mind for people who don't relish this prospect.

2. Minophis

I've seen a number of Android tablets that look good but I am hoding out till Google impliment the one critical feature missing from a tablet OS; Multiuser support.

Unlike a phone which is a very personal device a tablet in the home stands a good chance of being shared and each user should be able to have their own docs, app settings and stored cookies and passwords, etc.

I've also thought that one of the best places for a tablet is the kitchen so you can have music while you cook, recipe books or read the news with your breakfast. It would be good to find a tablet that can stand up to that environment (steam, and splash resistance)

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: kitchen

You want a small laptop for the kitchen. You'll have *no* hands free to hold the damn thing if you're doing anything else, so you want a screen that can be tilted to face you rather than the ceiling. Portability is not an issue, so it could even be plugged into the mains most of the time, but cost is an issue, particularly if there is a "small chance of a big accident".

3. Azzy
    Thumb Down

Uh, how is this different from the A500?

So it uses the same processor as the old A500, the same or less flash storage... Only 10g lighter, making it still fat and heavy.

What have they changed, other than the model number and the corners of the case? (and offering a version with a tiny amount of flash)

1. tamar1n47

for full specs of the A200 google 'acer A500 specs'.

4. jack jack

Same specs.. seriously?

So, Acer, just like Motorolla with the Xoom 2, is releasing almost an identical device as what they already have out now, calling it "new" and slapping a few minor improvements? See.. this might work with an iPad.. everyone wants one. But Acer, Xoom and the likes all have an uphill battle right now trying to get people to buy them, especially at the $400+ price point they are coming in at. I'd be shocked if this thing sells, 10,000 units. It seems to me it's just a way to milk the decent original Acer tablet.

Meanwhile, you have Asus Transformer 2 coming out in 2 weeks with quad-core, brighter display and can still be docked for more storage/battery life and connections. Why would anyone buy the Acer 200 or xoom 2 with the Transformer 2 at the same price with so much more to offer?

I wonder how many are going to be fired at Acer for thinking this makes sense. Did Asus get some sort of special deal with nVidia to be the only Tegra 3 quad-core released or something? If I were Acer and Motorolla, I'd push back their devices until they can release quad-cores with more improvements.

1. Andy 17

@jack jack

Am I the only person wondering what on earth you would be using a tablet for that requires a quad core processor?

1. tmTM

Alot

The current Tegra 2 tablets are pretty limited, high def video for example only works if it's mp4.

Graphics heavy stuff can be slow, so certain games are already abit sluggish.

5. tmTM

Thanks

But I'll wait a few weeks until the Tegra 3 tablets are released.

Me thinks Acer were a little late to the show with this one, it will very quickly become old hat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like