back to article Former RIM Indonesia chief faces negligence charge over stampede

Indonesian police have said they may charge the outgoing Research in Motion chief in the country with negligence in connection to the stampede last month at a BlackBerry event in a mall in Jakarta. Canadian Andrew Cobham is one of four people who could be charged with negligence leading to injury over the event on 25 November …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"The police said that RIM officials should have known that the event would attract a big crowd..."

Really?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Not managements fault

This at least is one company where you can't claim that it was corporate culture at fault.

RIM's senior management have gone out of their way to prevent any sort of crowds at the announcement of a new RIM product.

3. Stevie

Bah!

The changing of the conditions of the sale were bound to cause a riot. This was a foregone conclusion, easily predictable from previous experience going back to Woodstock.

Sorry, but people who aggressively market their products in such a way as to promote dangerous conditions deserve to be held accountable when other people get hurt. Not everyone there initiated the stampede, but everyone in the area got caught in it.

I'm with the Indonesian Police on this one. Someone's fingers need smacking with the responsibility ruler, and the buck stops at the top.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hear Hear!

I know his company is in the shitter and perhaps the pressure/panic from head office got too much, but he could have predicted this if he had really engaged with the culture. I don't envy him the spell in an Indonesian jail, unless of course he really does understand the culture...

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

They also need to prosecute the retailers that hired hordes of professional queuers in order to stock up on the cheap, for pouring petrol on the fire.

But I suspect that they're all local concerns and will be quietly allowed to get away with it.

4. earplugs

zero dollar RIM not exciting

I agree with YAAC, the market was not excited even when RIM recently wrote off their stock of Playbooks at zero, so half-off doesnt seem a bargain at all.

Jokes aside, my sympathies to those injured by some insensitive expats,

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

I see the problem.

They should have offered Playbooks at 50% off for the first thousand customers.

They'd still be running the offer and I am sure that the six people who turned up on the first day would have managed not to get in each other's way.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This sort of thing used to only happen at religious events, now it is happening over mobile ph... Oh! Right!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like